pension and COP

lacey1962

Jan 9, 2016
Crawley
I have recently got COP for my father and was told to open new bank accounts for my mother and father.
My father is in a care home funded by LA. I have asked for all his pension to be put into his new account so the LA can take what is needed towards his care, but Ihave been told that my mother should get half of his private pension and this should not be taken by the LA. Do I transfer the half of his pension into her bank account or should I leave it in his. I have to do a report for the COP and don't want to get this wrong.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
So just to clarify: you are now your father's deputy?

Assuming yes, put all his state pension in this new account and half his private pension in there, transferring the other half to your mother's account. I imagine you'll actually have to pay in all of his private pension and then transfer half, but that's perfectly acceptable. You do not want to leave your mother's share of his pension in his account.

lacey1962

Jan 9, 2016
Crawley
pension

So just to clarify: you are now your father's deputy?

Assuming yes, put all his state pension in this new account and half his private pension in there, transferring the other half to your mother's account. I imagine you'll actually have to pay in all of his private pension and then transfer half, but that's perfectly acceptable. You do not want to leave your mother's share of his pension in his account.

Thank you, now I know what I am meant to be doing.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I'm facing the same thing Lacey.

There is no deputyship for FIL but when he is settled in his care home we will apply for it.

In the meantime, as we have done for the last year, we are keeping scrupulous accounts and once (Tuesday) he begind to pay for his care, all direct debits for utility bills will be paid 100% by MIL.

Building insurance and gardener will continue to be paid 50% from his assets.

I know that if his bank knew, his account would be frozen, we are taking that chance...MIL and we, have enough reserves to cover his costs if his account is frozen prior to Deputyship.

I have taken on board what I've learned from this forum...that the COPG takes a dim view of people who operate outside of the rules...but we're taking a chance.

We have been driven to it by circumstance...extreme elderly, reluctant Ma and Pa-in-law.
No creative calculations have gone on, all is transparent.
I trust the truth and the law.

It's easier dealing with those two grand institutions than my Mother-in-law :)

Best of luck in your tallying up, lists and constant mental arithmetic. :)