Told To Go Away By GP

DivingDavey

Feb 18, 2015
Solihull
Hello, sorry if this has been posted before, but....

My mother has quite advanced Alzheimer's and I was talking to a friend last evening who is concerned about her own mother. It's clear my friends mother has some issues, as she will sometimes talk about getting up for work in the morning to open the shop that she hasn't had for 30 years etc etc.

My friend took her mum to the GP who agreed that she probably has Alzheimer's and basically told her to go away.

That's really bad.... Isn't it?

It's been a good few years since my own mother was diagnosed but shouldn't she have been referred to a memory clinic asap? If nothing else she is obviously not getting any drugs for dementia at present.

My advice (and my sisters) was to go back to the GP without her mum and insist that her mother is referred to the memory clinic, do you good people agree?

Thanks as always.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Is there any other doctors in the practice they could visit and try again. If they wish to take the original comment further maybe speak to the practice manager.

If the lady does gave dementia, suggest they phone the local authority to get an assessment carried out to put into place some carers, or day centre visits etc but she needs to be on their radar in case they are needed at later date.

They could also apply for attendance allowance and council tax reduction if GP has confirmed Alzheimer's so maybe worth telling them to try for these too, thus can pay for additional costs she may incur. Carers allowance too if family are helping her etc.

Well done you for caring, sometimes we have to stick to our guns and fight for our loved ones, more often than not recently it seems.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi it's not good a GP tells you to go away but if it's obvious a person has dementia why would they want or need to go to a memory clinic if it's that obvious yes medication could help if there at an early stage

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hi it's not good a GP tells you to go away but if it's obvious a person has dementia why would they want or need to go to a memory clinic if it's that obvious yes medication could help if there at an early stage

Because they are the place giving a diagnosis which can lead to medication and more support from officials. Someone "probably" having dementia does not really help them access help!

I would insist on a referral to the Memory Clinic.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Because they are the place giving a diagnosis which can lead to medication and more support from officials. Someone "probably" having dementia does not really help them access help!

I would insist on a referral to the Memory Clinic.

Yes Beate I agree that memory clinics are where you go through various test and yes you may have medication but if some is at a stage when friends and relatives who are not medically trained but know it's obvious the person has dementia surly a trained GP would notice that it's dementia to me testing of memory it when it's not obvious I was diagnosed at age of 57 with Alzheimer's an continued for eight years working until my retirement age 65 memory testing its to find out if you have dementia only my personal view

Ok there maybe a few gains but I can assure you after diagnose you life will never be you own again have a diagnoses in many cases you loose far more than you gain obviously that changes with different age groups

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes but the sad fact is that without a diagnosis some organisations will simply not help you, and it's much more difficult to put official support in place.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Yes but the sad fact is that without a diagnosis some organisations will simply not help you, and it's much more difficult to put official support in place.

Yes Beate your probably right only my own experience after diagnoses I had to fight and battle to continue working , driving, had my gun licence taken away all because of one word Dementia sorry I didn't go down benefits route so don't know that side can I say this only my view I,m not being argumentative but I sometimes think here on TP we get a lot of negativity and it's not all doom and gloom

Have a nice day sunny here for a change xx

Last edited:

DivingDavey

Feb 18, 2015
Solihull
Thanks all for your help.

I think she will need to go to the memory clinic because that is the only place (here at least) that can prescribe dementia drugs. Plus also it could be another form of dementia and I guess that will affect treatment.

Sadly my experience is that doctors often do not care about dementia and would rather fob people off than get involved.

I'm so sorry to see Tony that you have lost so much - my friends mother is much older than you and becoming less and less independent, so it's important she gets as much support as possible.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I would insist on a referral to the Memory Clinic."

If the GP considers that your friend's mum, who may be in denial, has capacity to refuse a referral and she refuses the GP cannot make the referral.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Thanks all for your help.

I think she will need to go to the memory clinic because that is the only place (here at least) that can prescribe dementia drugs. Plus also it could be another form of dementia and I guess that will affect treatment.

Sadly my experience is that doctors often do not care about dementia and would rather fob people off than get involved.

I'm so sorry to see Tony that you have lost so much - my friends mother is much older than you and becoming less and less independent, so it's important she gets as much support as possible.

Hi DivingDavey I'm fine thanks yes obviously there is a vast difference being diagnosed when your younger and health wise you will need much more support when that much older unfortunately when we read posts on TP we don't necessarily know the persons age that could make a difference in weather you reply or not but its alway good to get a varied opinions any way especially when talking about dementia

DivingDavey

Feb 18, 2015
Solihull
I absolutely agree Tony, I'm glad you're doing well - and that the sun is shining there :)

Thanks Nitram but that wasn't the case unfortunately - surely though if the doctor considers her to have dementia and to be in denial, then by definition she doesn't have capacity? That would be an awful situation and I do hope it doesn't come to that.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Is there a different doctor in the practice that you could talk to? There is medication for Alzheimers. It might also be worth asking to your local Alzheimers society for their advice. Good luck X

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

JohnBG

Apr 20, 2016
Lancashire UK
App

I recorded my conversation with my mother as evidence of her diminishing communication and memory skills, she kept allowing people into her house and paying large amounts mainly cash for house repairs.

She phoned me thinking she may have done wrong, the RIT Rapid Intervention Team helped with her safety, they referred her to the memory clinic they came to her house. The police produced a crime report.

I played some of those recording to her, she said don't I go on, she even laughed plus having limited recall of what she had said.

She is enjoying here home helps more confused every week, for my own health I am attempting to get her the support she needs, we having the driving conversation everyday, I am learning.

I would try again to get a diagnosis for the patient plus yourself.

Will a diagnosis stipulate an ongoing care plan ?