Careline and going home! I need some advice please

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
My Mum keeps unplugging her phone, which sets of the Careline machine with a 'the telephone line is disconnected' which my Mum then thinks is 'some' woman in her house and this then triggers the 'having to go home' thought process. She gets quite upset and cant understand that she has to stay where she is and wants to go home. So now do I get rid of Careline, as Im sure my Mum does not know how to use the pendant anyway, as her habit of taking the phone away sets of this circle of events. I know the system detects carbon monoxide or a fire but for her peace of mind it is worth it? The Carer has said tonight that it may be time to try respite? Is this a good idea or will it upset my Mum even further. I would appreciate any comments or advice. Thank you :( x x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
A smoke alarm does detect a fire too. But as long as your mother doesn't understand what the noise is about, none of these systems will be of much use, I'm afraid. Yes, respite might upset your Mum, but you don't know until you try, and respite is about you, the carer, getting some much needed rest from the daily grind.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
We took my Mas phone away at the point where it became a)useless and b) upsetting and it brought peace back into the house. She wouldn't have had a clue how to use careline and I know a number of people that it upsets because it is 'disconnected' and 'faceless'.

You can get carbon monoxide detectors from b&q very reasonable so that's not an issue.

Try it and see - she's not using it so effectively it is useless and just upsetting her.

Beate's right - the respite is about you - if you need a break then you need to think about respite because she needs you and you won't be any good to her if you break down - so consider it but don't put yourself under even more pressure by worrying about it just think of it as a useful standby, have a look and see what is on offer and then make a decision xxxxx Rocky path but everyone is here to support you xx

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Careline can be very useful, but doesn't help everyone.
My Dad used to unplug it too.
And the person who took him the pendant and explained how to use it told him it was very special and would protect him.
He understood this to mean it was a precious amulet, so he always put it away very carefully in a safe place.
Technology has its limitations with dementia, but always worth a try.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Flake
dad surprised me and actually used his emergency button a couple of times wholly appropriately - he had it on a pendant around his neck - so I was reluctant to do away with the system when he started unplugging everything (yes he did also press it just to see if it worked etc, but the real callouts were worth the false alarms and the operators were always lovely with him)
I covered over the sockets - either putting furniture in the way or simply by securing white paper over the whole thing, taped down with sellotape - it seemed as though if he couldn't see the plug in the socket he didn't recognise it, it didn't bother him and he left it alone = out of sight, out of mind - I did this with the heating controls and also anything that had a standby light as he would insist it was still on if the light was on and try to find the socket
his system was also linked to a front door alarm - so I was called if he left the door open at night and the operator spoke to him whilst I went round to check on him - it saved his bacon when he went walkabout

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Care line and going home

My Mum keeps unplugging her phone, which sets of the Careline machine with a 'the telephone line is disconnected' which my Mum then thinks is 'some' woman in her house and this then triggers the 'having to go home' thought process. She gets quite upset and cant understand that she has to stay where she is and wants to go home. So now do I get rid of Careline, as Im sure my Mum does not know how to use the pendant anyway, as her habit of taking the phone away sets of this circle of events. I know the system detects carbon monoxide or a fire but for her peace of mind it is worth it? The Carer has said tonight that it may be time to try respite? Is this a good idea or will it upset my Mum even further. I would appreciate any comments or advice. Thank you :( x x

I had to stop using careline as it confused T very much. I cancelled the service by phone but I live in Ireland. T lives with me and I have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms installed. Just buy them in a shop and away you go.

I get respite for T and it has kept me going. T settles in very well when he gets there. In fact he is getting a weeks respite tomorrow and I am exhausted.

Respite will help you to recharge your batteries. I don't like saying this but as time goes on, you will need to get respite.

I hope all goes well for you.

Aisling. ( Ireland)

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Hi Flake
dad surprised me and actually used his emergency button a couple of times wholly appropriately - he had it on a pendant around his neck - so I was reluctant to do away with the system when he started unplugging everything (yes he did also press it just to see if it worked etc, but the real callouts were worth the false alarms and the operators were always lovely with him)
I covered over the sockets - either putting furniture in the way or simply by securing white paper over the whole thing, taped down with sellotape - it seemed as though if he couldn't see the plug in the socket he didn't recognise it, it didn't bother him and he left it alone = out of sight, out of mind - I did this with the heating controls and also anything that had a standby light as he would insist it was still on if the light was on and try to find the socket
his system was also linked to a front door alarm - so I was called if he left the door open at night and the operator spoke to him whilst I went round to check on him - it saved his bacon when he went walkabout

Ive had to cover up the heating switch and the boiler switch but the paper gets torn away and switches get turned off. The house then becomes cold. Ive also tried covering the Careline call box and phone but somehow they still get found. Ive had a day off today and will see how things are tomorrow. :(

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Thank you all for your comments. I am teetering on the removal of Careline as it is quite upsetting when my Mum gets upset that 'that woman' is telling her to pack up and leave :(