Medications for my mother

treesy

Jan 16, 2016
My story is VERY long about my mother, but I'll start out by stating I live in a different state than my family. I'm so close to all this and call my father (87 year old) and my sister (lives next door to my parents)

To get to the point, my mother is on hospice care because we were talked into hospice when my mom was in the hospital. We took her out 5 days after because they were actually drugging her to the point of not talking, eating or drinking. She came home and is still under hospice because they provide hospital bed, all equipment, nurse and bathing.

Her health is under control but her mental health is deteriorating QUICKLY. They have prescribed Haldon and Seroquel (both anti psychotics). I've read on the ALZ.org, drug websites where these drugs are manufactured and the FDA that these two drugs SHOULD NOT be used for elderly patients with dementia. I cannot get through to anyone in my family how strong I feel that this doesn't seem right!! I've sent all the information I researched and my dad is sick of me sending these.

I feel lost and alone. She's my mom; I don't want to see her being in a state of distress, depression, talking to herself, not sleeping, not allowing my dad to sleep and everyone is getting very frustrated with her. I don't know who to talk to because I'm four hours away. I will do anything to drive there and talk to someone face to face who will listen to me.

Is anyone facing these issues?

Thank you.
treesy

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

Can you talk to the hospice nurse about why they are using those particular drugs?
Your dad will have enough to worry about without you sending him lots of info to read.

treesy

Jan 16, 2016
We have already asked about the medications. They stated to quiet her anxieties and sleep but that doesn't happen.

I know my dad has enough to worry about but knowledge is power, isn't it? I feel that in order to make good decisions we need to research as much as possible.

Thank you.

MissDiane

Oct 18, 2013
Hello, and sorry to hear you are having such a worrying time. I'm not sure my experience will help but here goes..

My mum was prescribed anti-psychotic meds recently on the quiet. It was not discussed with me, first despite me having Power of Attorney so it was quite a shock when I found out.

I made as big a fuss as possible with the professionals involved, as like you I had read the risks to people with dementia. I read up on the NICE guidelines and got info from the Alzheimers Society.

I understand these medicines do have a place but only as a last resort when behaviour is too challenging and every other avenue has been tried. They were not appropriate in my mums case. I was told they were to calm her anxieties down and sleep problems.

Have you tried using an advocacy service as they will navigate the system for you and provide advice?

Maybe find out who prescribed them and request a phone consultation to explain why they are deemed appropriate? What are the alternatives? Refer to guidelines if necessary.

I hope you are able to speak to someone who is accountable.X

Ash76

Nov 16, 2015
My story is VERY long about my mother, but I'll start out by stating I live in a different state than my family. I'm so close to all this and call my father (87 year old) and my sister (lives next door to my parents)

To get to the point, my mother is on hospice care because we were talked into hospice when my mom was in the hospital. We took her out 5 days after because they were actually drugging her to the point of not talking, eating or drinking. She came home and is still under hospice because they provide hospital bed, all equipment, nurse and bathing.

Her health is under control but her mental health is deteriorating QUICKLY. They have prescribed Haldon and Seroquel (both anti psychotics). I've read on the ALZ.org, drug websites where these drugs are manufactured and the FDA that these two drugs SHOULD NOT be used for elderly patients with dementia. I cannot get through to anyone in my family how strong I feel that this doesn't seem right!! I've sent all the information I researched and my dad is sick of me sending these.

I feel lost and alone. She's my mom; I don't want to see her being in a state of distress, depression, talking to herself, not sleeping, not allowing my dad to sleep and everyone is getting very frustrated with her. I don't know who to talk to because I'm four hours away. I will do anything to drive there and talk to someone face to face who will listen to me.

Is anyone facing these issues?

Thank you.
treesy

Hi Treesy
Have you ruled out the possibility of an infection? My mum has had a few of these and the behaviour you describe is what alerts us to check for this. It starts quite subtle but deteriorates very quickly into manic behaviour, visual and auditory hallucinations, not sleeping and wandering about.it's distressing to see but even more so for them to experience. The first time this happened we had to convince the GP that this wasn't just the Alzheimer's but that something else was wrong with mum. I hope you get to the bottom of what's happening for your mum and you're right to question everything, she's lucky to have you to fight her corner x