Costs of care

Libran

Jan 13, 2016
When my husband goes into a care home and when his fees are taken over by local authority they will take all his income to help with fees leaving me to take over all the running costs of the family home. Added to that they ask me to pay the top up between the care home fee and the amount they will pay,, which is in the region of £400 a month. Which is almost all my state pension. Can anyone explain how I am supposed to do this ...........?

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
When my husband goes into a care home and when his fees are taken over by local authority they will take all his income to help with fees leaving me to take over all the running costs of the family home. Added to that they ask me to pay the top up between the care home fee and the amount they will pay,, which is in the region of £400 a month. Which is almost all my state pension. Can anyone explain how I am supposed to do this ...........?

This isn't an area I really know about, but there are some people here on talking point who certainly do and I'm sure they'll be along soon to give you the benefit of their experience.

Are you taking the Local Authority's statement about the top-up as 'gospel' or have you been able to get independent advice?

I'm sorry you're in this awful position - dementia is a horrible enough illness without bringing financial worries long too.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Does your husband get an occupational pension? If so, then you should get half of it.
You might find that you are also eligable for something like pension credit - it would be worthwhile talking to Citizens advice or Age UK about that.

Your Local Authority is legally obliged to find your husband a home that meets his needs and does not require top-ups. You should only pay top-ups if you refuse this home. It is also worth checking out other homes as it sounds like the one you have your eye on is an expensive one and there may well be another one that is homely, though not flash, that would have much cheaper top-ups. Assuming that you dont want the one that the LA would fund, of course.