nursing homes

spree

Jun 25, 2014
north wales
my husband is in nursing home and when I go in he is unclean dirty cloths, I go mad tell them and then I help them bath him and everything is ok for a while , then it happens again. I have meeting with management tomorrow to try to sort it out any advice would be welcome .

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Not to go on all guns blazing is my advice.

Keep your cool and explain it is far from acceptable. Your husband is in a care home and he should be well cared for. His dignity is important. You understand at times there can be a crisis and carers may be otherwise engaged but being left dirty and unwashed is not acceptable especially on a regular basis.

I think they are more likely to go that extra bit to put it right if there is no shouting, though I would understand if you yelled and screamed, and that you had an understanding as to how busy they can be.

Fingers crossed they will listen and everything will be as it should be.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I agree to remain calm - getting irate gives them the power - but very firm. I would probably write a letter to the Manager this evening and tell them that you would like it put on file - detailing the problem. If it isn't in writing they are not accountable. It also means that you cover everything you want to because they have a habit of distracting.

I should be very clear with them that if it happens again you will put a complaint in to the Care Quality Commission because he is there to be nurtured, looked after and respected and they are not doing that. It worries me that if they are not keeping him clean is everything else alright? Keeping clean and tidy is a basic requirement.

I am so sorry your are going through this. Will be thinking of you tomorrow, well done for getting it sorted out. Please let us know how it goes

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Is your husband compliant with personal care?My Dad is usually clean and shaved but sometimes becomes very agitated so shave has to go by the board.He didn't have a haircut for many months for the same reason.It bothered me but my gut feeling was that the carers were doing their best and that's all I ask.I appreciate that they do an incredibly difficult job for very little reward and I will always stay on their side if possible.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
I would make a complaint in writing, but I would not mention the CQC. You should have a copy of the home's complaints policy.

If things do not improve then I would contact CQC and give them as much information as possible.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
The only reason to mention the Care Quality Commission is that it is a sure fire way to make them jump to it and sort it out - the one thing they don't want is complaints to the CQC :)

spree

Jun 25, 2014
north wales
thank you for your advice, I went this morning and kept calm , well a few tears shed, said they sorry it was not acceptable , but they having staffing shortages and using agency staff. NHS board are already in home checking it out and they where in meeting also as home has just been sold and now has new owners, nice to be told wats going on . so I will keep an eye on things and tell them if I have any further concerns in future. all I want is a bit of dignity to my husband.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
thank you for your advice, I went this morning and kept calm , well a few tears shed, said they sorry it was not acceptable , but they having staffing shortages and using agency staff. NHS board are already in home checking it out and they where in meeting also as home has just been sold and now has new owners, nice to be told wats going on . so I will keep an eye on things and tell them if I have any further concerns in future. all I want is a bit of dignity to my husband.

Well done Spree, that sounds like as good a result as you could have hoped for....you are so right, we trustingly put people into a place of care telling ourselves they will be well looked after and when they are not we lose faith and trust. I hope that they will now keep to their promise and ensure your Husband is cared for xxxxxx

spree

Jun 25, 2014
north wales
Well done Spree, that sounds like as good a result as you could have hoped for....you are so right, we trustingly put people into a place of care telling ourselves they will be well looked after and when they are not we lose faith and trust. I hope that they will now keep to their promise and ensure your Husband is cared for xxxxxx

thank so very true, just hope I can build trust up again.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
You will and slowly you will relax again but do keep posting and let us know how it is going...... I'm sure you will be keeping your eyes and ears wide open!!!!