Could it be a uti

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
Mum has mixed dementia and taking mamentine, for the past four weeks, Thursday last week, she seemed a little odd, her speech seemed quiet and mumbled, she said it was her teeth?? We did think TIA, I called Fri, as her cleaner called me to say how frail she thought mum had become in the two week Xmas break and that she had found 5 pairs of dirty pants under cushion on her chair, I was still a little concerned about her but she did seem better. Visited today and she was mega confused, not seen her like it before, hadn't mentioned to carers because she thinks she will taken out of her home, she lives alone! Since Xmas she seems to be going downhill first, her mobility is awful, I got her in shower and I don't think she's done that for weeks and won't let carers come into shower her.

Anyway carer called me and she mentioned UTI so I will drop sample off tomorrow, if it isn't that, we are not sure what to do next, she seems depressed, is mithering about anything and everything and generally seems agitated, any suggestions, advice? My husband, her son, thinks she needs to be in a care home, where someone can look after her 24/7 and she has company during the day as she has too much time on her hands at home and she has now started saying she just wants to stay in her chair in her front room and not go out.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Hope you get a clear result from the test. If it isn't a UTI, just wondering if you are sure she has been getting enough to eat and drink? Dehydration can cause problems quickly.

Also, does she still understand how to use the heating in her home?

Even if it's not needed yet, you could start looking at homes so that if she does become too poorly to live alone you will be prepared. But maybe once the short dark days of winter are past she will feel a bit better. Hope she picks up soon.

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
Hope you get a clear result from the test. If it isn't a UTI, just wondering if you are sure she has been getting enough to eat and drink? Dehydration can cause problems quickly.

Also, does she still understand how to use the heating in her home?

Even if it's not needed yet, you could start looking at homes so that if she does become too poorly to live alone you will be prepared. But maybe once the short dark days of winter are past she will feel a bit better. Hope she picks up soon.

Thanks for that, I know she doesn't drink enough but carers are only there for such a short time, they make her a drink but she never finishes it, she says she drinks water through the day but we don't think she does but again it's difficult to monitor and I know she says what she thinks we want to hear rather than what's happening X