Lasting Powers of Attorney

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Another limitation with joint attorneys on a financial LPA is that it is highly unlikely that internet access will be allowed and/or any kind of card issued. The bank has no way of seeing that all attorneys are acting.

curtainsgalore

Nov 2, 2014
I have POA for my mums affairs with my brother as a replacement should anything happen to me (he really wanted to do nothing!)
If your relative is nearing the time when capacity is nearly lost I would suggest a solicitor to help as if there are errors on the form I believe it's 2or3 months until you can submit it again and then capacity may be lost and a deputy ship set up which is much more expensive and a lot harder work day to day to manage. I may be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
thanks to last messager!

I have POA for my mums affairs with my brother as a replacement should anything happen to me (he really wanted to do nothing!)
If your relative is nearing the time when capacity is nearly lost I would suggest a solicitor to help as if there are errors on the form I believe it's 2or3 months until you can submit it again and then capacity may be lost and a deputy ship set up which is much more expensive and a lot harder work day to day to manage. I may be wrong.
Thankyou for your comment. My mother is carer for my father who has a bit of dementia. Perhaps he would be seen already as not having capacity. I hadn't thought it through. He is 94, and my 90 year old mother is his carer, and terrible with paperwork, but very intelligent and capable otherwise. I was hoping to cover them both if she met with an unforeseen accident. An AgeUk rep will be here in an hour to do the Health and Welfare portion, and I am hoping that she will help us with the financial one while she is here. The attorneys are the same in both.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thankyou for your comment. My mother is carer for my father who has a bit of dementia. Perhaps he would be seen already as not having capacity. I hadn't thought it through. He is 94, and my 90 year old mother is his carer, and terrible with paperwork, but very intelligent and capable otherwise. I was hoping to cover them both if she met with an unforeseen accident. An AgeUk rep will be here in an hour to do the Health and Welfare portion, and I am hoping that she will help us with the financial one while she is here. The attorneys are the same in both.[/QUOTE]

Hello, I would like to reassure you that just having a diagnosis of Dementia does not mean an LPA cannot be successfully applied for, it is all about the person being able to understand the powers they are granting to their chosen Attorneys at the time they sign the forms.
Hope this helps

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Thankyou for your comment. My mother is carer for my father who has a bit of dementia. Perhaps he would be seen already as not having capacity. I hadn't thought it through. He is 94, and my 90 year old mother is his carer, and terrible with paperwork, but very intelligent and capable otherwise. I was hoping to cover them both if she met with an unforeseen accident. An AgeUk rep will be here in an hour to do the Health and Welfare portion, and I am hoping that she will help us with the financial one while she is here. The attorneys are the same in both.

Hello, I would like to reassure you that just having a diagnosis of Dementia does not mean an LPA cannot be successfully applied for, it is all about the person being able to understand the powers they are granting to their chosen Attorneys at the time they sign the forms.
Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

To repeat " it is all about the person being able to understand the powers they are granting to their chosen Attorneys at the time they sign the forms."

Whether they understand the next day is not important, its only on the day(time of signing) that matters.
Timing can be all! Chose a good day and time.

Bod

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Hope this helps

To repeat " it is all about the person being able to understand the powers they are granting to their chosen Attorneys at the time they sign the forms."

Whether they understand the next day is not important, its only on the day(time of signing) that matters.
Timing can be all! Chose a good day and time.

Bod[/QUOTE]

Oh yes indeed. The lovely AgeUK rep. filled out the Long-lasting Prs of Attorney forms for both my parents. My father is a most reasonable person, despite dementia, and evinced capacity to make decisions, although he couldn't have told you the date. Now I have to fill out the on line-form for Finance. It is so obvious that joint and severally is the only way to go!; Thanks for all your explication. In the midst of the Welfare process, I suddenly remembered a dear family friend who has driven my parents to church for the past 4 years, and they have known him longer than that,- (when his mother was still alive, and he had been driving Her to church!). He is as good as gold, honest as the day, and ever conscientious. He agreed, when phoned, AgeUk rep poised, mid pen stroke, to be my 'agent on the ground' if I was in America while a disaster struck them. So he is a joint and several attorney too, a fact which disturbs my overseas relatives.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman