Sitting up when imobile

steiffbear

Aug 18, 2014
Mum has not walked since the summer. She has an up and down bed and is hoisted. However morning and evening on Saturday and today I have gone in to find her sitting up on the edge of the bed. she has done this a couple of times in the past, but not so close together. I'm worried in case she falls off the bed, trying to stand up, and hurts herself. Has anyone any ideas please?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Mum has not walked since the summer. She has an up and down bed and is hoisted. However morning and evening on Saturday and today I have gone in to find her sitting up on the edge of the bed. she has done this a couple of times in the past, but not so close together. I'm worried in case she falls off the bed, trying to stand up, and hurts herself. Has anyone any ideas please?

Whilst I appreciate your worry about a possible accident, this could also be seen as something positive. I would try to think of some way of encouraging the sitting whilst taking steps to protect your mum when no-one else is present. I don't know your exact arrangement of your bed. My wife's has 'sides'. It struck me a while ago that having someone in a hospital bed 24/7 is very safe. It is also a quick way to turn someone into an 'invalid'. Someone being capable of sitting up independently should have that ability nurtured so that it lasts as long as possible.

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK

My FiL has just been prescribed an adjustable bed as he has difficulty bringing himself to an upright position. I make sure he has his Zimmer frame close by his bed. He can use this to support himself as he gets into a standing position. The only problem is, it needs to be weighted so it doesn't move or topple, so usually I put my foot on the bottom bar. You can get trolleys that are like a Zimmer frame combined with food trays, these may be a bit more sturdy.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Possibly a physio assessment? and some follow up physio. It is amazing that after several months she has that kind of strength but you are right it needs to be managed for safety xx

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Possibly a physio assessment? and some follow up physio. It is amazing that after several months she has that kind of strength but you are right it needs to be managed for safety xx

My FiL had a referral from the GP to the Occupational Therapy (OT) team. OT people can assess your mum for her physical capabilities and prescribe appropriate equipment that will help her and keep her safe. Speak to her GP, I'm sure he will help.

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
"I make sure he has his Zimmer frame close by his bed. He can use this to support himself as he gets into a standing position. The only problem is, it needs to be weighted so it doesn't move or topple,"

There is a vast range of grab rails available, you can probably get one through the OT.
http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/beds-and-bedding/bed-grab-rails/

Thank you, nitram, that's useful! Yes you are right, there is a vast array of equipment out there. I saw a some of it in use during my brief time as a care worker. It's always worth knowing there is some piece of equipment, somewhere, that will make life a little easier for someone!