Mum passed away yesterday

janma221

Apr 23, 2013
Powys
Hi I hope you can help me. My Mum passed away yesterday and thankfully had a funeral plan in place which has taken a lot of the worry from me. She is with the coroner after being taken from her care home until Monday after the bank holiday. I know once she has had the official death notice then my POA with her bank will probably be stopped. My question is how do I cover any extra costs required for her funeral or the final care home payments as I am not working and could not possibly cover them myself. I know she has made a will leaving everything to me her only child but how do I pay any outstanding money in the meantime?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Hi I hope you can help me. My Mum passed away yesterday and thankfully had a funeral plan in place which has taken a lot of the worry from me. She is with the coroner after being taken from her care home until Monday after the bank holiday. I know once she has had the official death notice then my POA with her bank will probably be stopped. My question is how do I cover any extra costs required for her funeral or the final care home payments as I am not working and could not possibly cover them myself. I know she has made a will leaving everything to me her only child but how do I pay any outstanding money in the meantime?

Have a word with the bank as soon as you can. They were very good with me and told me to get an invoice from the funeral directors and they would either let me access the money or write me a cheque - sorry i can't remember which and they said the same of the other expenses so speak to them and see what they will arrange.

janma221

Apr 23, 2013
Powys
Have a word with the bank as soon as you can. They were very good with me and told me to get an invoice from the funeral directors and they would either let me access the money or write me a cheque - sorry i can't remember which and they said the same of the other expenses so speak to them and see what they will arrange.

Thanks for your reply. I will do that and hopefully with the funeral plan there shouldn't be too many extra costs. Take care xx

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
all you do is give all bills to solicitor and they will deal with everything including carehome bills. if you are executor it takes about 4 months to get probate and nothing can be done until its got all bills are put on hold including care home and nothing they can do about it , we did this with my mum as we had electric etc to pay . make sure you get al least 5 dealth certificates as they cost a lot more if you need more .

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I would just like to add that I did probate myself for both my husband and my Mum and both times it took less than 2 months. All the suppliers put bills on hold until probate was through but the immediate funeral expenses usually won't hold. I bought 10 death certificates both times

janma221

Apr 23, 2013
Powys
Thanks for the advice everyone.In limbo at the moment waiting on the Coroner which due to the bank holiday is not until next week then I can get things moving.

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
The bank should pay all the funeral costs

Hi Jamma

I am sorry for your loss. It is never an easy time and extra worries about money are not needed.

Mum passed away in October. I was told that the bank would honour any funeral costs. From my experience it can include the cost of the wake, but ask to be sure. They would not pay care home fees though. The care home was very understanding and we were told not to worry as sometimes it takes many months to settle the bill, especially if it is dependent on selling a house. My step-father gave the funeral bill to the bank and they paid it immediately.

Mum's case was simple. Mum had no will, no property and less than £20,000, so the bank said that it was not necessary to go to probate and they transferred her money to her husband on proof of identity witnessed by a solicitor. I am not sure if this is the case with all banks as I have heard the figure £15,000 quoted.

My father died in France a few years ago and the funeral was there. I sent the funeral bill to his UK bank and it was paid in full. He only had about £10,000 in his UK bank and I was told that I had to go to probate because it was more than £5,000. I was told by the probate office in London that nothing would get sorted until the French estate was settled and anyone who knows the French inheritance laws will understand the complications. However my local probate office in the west country was more helpful and told me to write a letter to the bank explaining things. I did this and they released the money to my step-sister and me, but insisted that a solicitor administer this. The Notaire sorted out the French estate. Hopefully things should be less complicated for you. Best of luck. x

janma221

Apr 23, 2013
Powys
Hi Jamma

I am sorry for your loss. It is never an easy time and extra worries about money are not needed.

Mum passed away in October. I was told that the bank would honour any funeral costs. From my experience it can include the cost of the wake, but ask to be sure. They would not pay care home fees though. The care home was very understanding and we were told not to worry as sometimes it takes many months to settle the bill, especially if it is dependent on selling a house. My step-father gave the funeral bill to the bank and they paid it immediately.

Mum's case was simple. Mum had no will, no property and less than £20,000, so the bank said that it was not necessary to go to probate and they transferred her money to her husband on proof of identity witnessed by a solicitor. I am not sure if this is the case with all banks as I have heard the figure £15,000 quoted.

My father died in France a few years ago and the funeral was there. I sent the funeral bill to his UK bank and it was paid in full. He only had about £10,000 in his UK bank and I was told that I had to go to probate because it was more than £5,000. I was told by the probate office in London that nothing would get sorted until the French estate was settled and anyone who knows the French inheritance laws will understand the complications. However my local probate office in the west country was more helpful and told me to write a letter to the bank explaining things. I did this and they released the money to my step-sister and me, but insisted that a solicitor administer this. The Notaire sorted out the French estate. Hopefully things should be less complicated for you. Best of luck. x

Thank you for your advice. I am lucky in that my mother had a funeral care plan in place so hopefully shouldn't be too much extra to pay on top. The care home she was moved to recently are all about money whereas the home she had been in for the past 2 years had a lovely accountant who was happy to wait for all the time I had to have building work done on her house before I could sell it. She has a will in place so as soon as the Coroner has released her to the funeral home I can start to move. Thanks once again and my best wishes to you xx