no known cause of death

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
My father died on Christmas eve in the night. He had alzheimers for about 5-7 years. Was diagnosed 2 years ago. His dementia medication was halved a couple of weeks before he died. He went downhill fast and the last week he spent in bed, last two days in hospital. The hospital now say they won't release him until a post-mortem is done as he had no infection or anything showing up on heart or brain scans. His heart just stopped. The last week in bed he seemed half unconscious and sort of delirious, not eating or drinking, not able to move. He was 72.

Is the very last stage of alzheimers this quick??

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I cant answer but dobt want to leave this unanswered. So sorry you now have to go through a post mortem. I hope you get can answer soon.

MissDiane

Oct 18, 2013
I am so sorry to hear this. Please accept my sincere condolences. Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge to advise you but I am sure others will. X

My father died on Christmas eve in the night. He had alzheimers for about 5-7 years. Was diagnosed 2 years ago. His dementia medication was halved a couple of weeks before he died. He went downhill fast and the last week he spent in bed, last two days in hospital. The hospital now say they won't release him until a post-mortem is done as he had no infection or anything showing up on heart or brain scans. His heart just stopped. The last week in bed he seemed half unconscious and sort of delirious, not eating or drinking, not able to move. He was 72.

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
The whole thing is really strange. Maybe there was some other acute condition we were unaware of but...I suspect it is because his brain stopped enabling his heart to work.
x

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Dear Overwhelmed, I am so sorry to read about your Dad.

When Roger passed away back in April, we had a post mortem, which was carried out fairly quickly. He had a chest infection which took over his body and he passed away within 24 hours, very unexpectedly.

I provisionally booked a date for the funeral, which we managed to keep. The Coroner's Office were very helpful and registering the death was so much easier because they passed the relevant paperwork directly to the Registrar.

I admit, although at first I didn't want a PM to be done, I realised that I had no choice, and in fact was glad to know the true cause of his passing.

It is a difficult time for you, but wishing you strength. J x

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
Dear Overwhelmed, I am so sorry to read about your Dad.

When Roger passed away back in April, we had a post mortem, which was carried out fairly quickly. He had a chest infection which took over his body and he passed away within 24 hours, very unexpectedly.

I provisionally booked a date for the funeral, which we managed to keep. The Coroner's Office were very helpful and registering the death was so much easier because they passed the relevant paperwork directly to the Registrar.

I admit, although at first I didn't want a PM to be done, I realised that I had no choice, and in fact was glad to know the true cause of his passing.

It is a difficult time for you, but wishing you strength. J x

Hi Jan,

Thanks very much for replying. Did Roger have a temperature? The hospital said that my dad had no infection at all. They did all the tests including blood, urine, brain and heart xx

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
I am so sorry you lost your dad so suddenly. It must be such a shock and so sad for it to happen on Christmas Eve. 72 is not so old nowadays too. I think it is natural for you to be seeking answers at this time so like others I think the post mortem is a good thing and hopefully will give you the answers you so desperately need right now. Take Care xxx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi Jan,

Thanks very much for replying. Did Roger have a temperature? The hospital said that my dad had no infection at all. They did all the tests including blood, urine, brain and heart xx

I don't know whether he has a temperature, but when I saw him the day before, I "sensed" a chest infection, but nobody else had picked it up (his voice went very deep when he had a chest infection). It almost developed while I was there. I left at about 6.00. By next morning, I got a call from the GP at 9.00 and went straight there and he died within 2 hours. Totally unexpected at that point, but I do feel relief that his passing was quick and pain free.

He was 66.

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
I don't know whether he has a temperature, but when I saw him the day before, I "sensed" a chest infection, but nobody else had picked it up (his voice went very deep when he had a chest infection). It almost developed while I was there. I left at about 6.00. By next morning, I got a call from the GP at 9.00 and went straight there and he died within 2 hours. Totally unexpected at that point, but I do feel relief that his passing was quick and pain free.

He was 66.

66. That is no age is it-so sad and so unfair xx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
66. That is no age is it-so sad and so unfair xx

Yep, I cannot argue with you, but I am thankful for the 43 years we had together. Obviously I miss him like mad, but I cannot change things.

I am sorry I have diverted your thread. I hope you get some answers about Dad. xx

Shazedge

Nov 11, 2015
Dear overwhelmed
I am so sorry to hear about your dad passing, such a terrible time for you and my heart goes out to you.

My dad passed on 20 December, he had dementia for about 5-6 years but only diagnosed about 3 years ago.
He had all the usual symptoms of forgetfulness and confusion, slowing down etc whilst still at home with mum. Earlier this year he started getting very frustrated and angry and sadly physically taking it out on my poor mum. This went on for several months (and not always to our knowledge). The last time he "attacked" my mum she told me afterwards she just wanted it all to end and was ready for him to kill her. So sad and painful to hear when my dear dad wouldn't have harmed a fly and was the most kind hearted gent you could wish to meet. So then dad was sectioned and admitted to a MHU. That was in August this year and he never came home.
It seemed his AD accelerated, as he became more unsteady on his feet and kept falling he got worse. And prob a month before his death, he didn't talk, didn't walk, barely ate anything and goes without saying that he never recognised any of us.
Then 3 days before he passed he went to bed and fell asleep and didn't really wake up. The staff made him comfortable and he passed in a dignified way with all of us, my mum and sisters, with him.
He never had anything else wrong with him, no infection nothing and the cause of death on his DC is dementia.
His consultant confirmed that he was severely brain damaged and because of this his body had shut down.
No PM was carried out which we are grateful for, my dad was 71. .

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Sorry to hear your very sad news about your Dad. I would imagine a PM has been ordered as his medication had recently been altered and maybe they need to make sure this didn't contribute to his death. Also they need to a fall didn't happen and contribute etc. I think it's more to cover the hospital so they get answers for preventative reasons, as well as in this current compensation society, to ensure there was no neglect of care.

I don't think the brain tells the heart to stop as you suggest, but the blood from the heart can slow down etc and effect the brain. So if the medication affected the blood supply it may have altered the blood flow which may lead to a stroke or heart attack. This is only my understanding, I'm not medically qualified.

I hope this helps, please keep us posted and take one day at a time.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast

Thats exactly what happened to my MIL. Once they stop drinking the end is very near.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
You have so much to do after a death that going to the coroner means you do not have to register the death within the 5 days ......I asked for a copy of the post mortem report for my mother and found it tough reading but I also found comfort in knowing exactly what had been going on. Sad time for you.

Ameliasmama

Oct 24, 2015
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad Overwhelmed. My Dad passed last night. We were originally told there wouldn't be a need for a post mortem but when I rang today collect the paperwork needed to register his death I was told the consultant wants to go over all his notes with the possibility of referring to the coroner. Apparently the nurse shouldn't have told us there wouldn't be a post mortem but nothing surprises me anymore with that hospital.

I really feel for you, I'm a practical person so all I want to do is get on with things and give my Dad the send off he deserves, but we're in limbo with that now. Though I can understand why my Dad's passing may well be referred to the coroner, I hate the thought he's still being messed with :(

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad Overwhelmed. My Dad passed last night. We were originally told there wouldn't be a need for a post mortem but when I rang today collect the paperwork needed to register his death I was told the consultant wants to go over all his notes with the possibility of referring to the coroner. Apparently the nurse shouldn't have told us there wouldn't be a post mortem but nothing surprises me anymore with that hospital.

I really feel for you, I'm a practical person so all I want to do is get on with things and give my Dad the send off he deserves, but we're in limbo with that now. Though I can understand why my Dad's passing may well be referred to the coroner, I hate the thought he's still being messed with :(

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

I know exactly what you are going through. I have PM'ed you xx