Mums seizures and Alzheimer's

Kassa64

Jan 11, 2014
Kent
Mum is now 81 and living in a good EMI Drmentia Residential home where I visit everyday. Recently she has developed seizures and after suffering two in one day has been prescribed Epilim. After 4 days in Hospital and starting medication on the penultimate day she was brighter than she had been in a while, laughing and commenting on what was going on around her and even stood and took some steps with a frame. Mum has been having difficulty with weight bearing more recently however since returning back to the home she just became much more unresponsive with substantial loss of cognitive ability. She was completely stoned and can no longer hold cutlery or a cup and has no ability to hold herself up. I have asked the doctor to reduce the dose of Epilim and she has woken slightly but I am concerned about being unable to weight bear. She really has detiriorated and I wondered if anyone else has had the same experience? I am so worried as the home is not nursing and won't be able to cope if her legs have stopped working...

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum is now 81 and living in a good EMI Drmentia Residential home where I visit everyday. Recently she has developed seizures and after suffering two in one day has been prescribed Epilim. After 4 days in Hospital and starting medication on the penultimate day she was brighter than she had been in a while, laughing and commenting on what was going on around her and even stood and took some steps with a frame. Mum has been having difficulty with weight bearing more recently however since returning back to the home she just became much more unresponsive with substantial loss of cognitive ability. She was completely stoned and can no longer hold cutlery or a cup and has no ability to hold herself up. I have asked the doctor to reduce the dose of Epilim and she has woken slightly but I am concerned about being unable to weight bear. She really has detiriorated and I wondered if anyone else has had the same experience? I am so worried as the home is not nursing and won't be able to cope if her legs have stopped working...

Hello, how worrying for you :(
I care for my Mum with AD, but also for my husband who was diagnosed and treated for a high grade brain tumour in 2004. As a result he is on Epilim , and more recently a 2nd one was added, Lamictal, and his Epilim reduced. This was after a seizure out of the blue, after being in good control for 6 yrs.

What dose of Epilim is your Mum on?

I do know that anti seizure meds can make you pretty lethargic, so maye combined with dementia it is having an added effect on your Mum now that it is in her system. Sometimes anti seizure meds are trial and error, but Epilim is a tried and true one that is usually prescribed first.

Last edited: