Random days when my husband is weak and has no energy

Greenlightsal

Sep 10, 2013
Hi everyone,
My husband is in middle stage Alzheimer's and in the last few months has been getting days when he wakes up and says he feels completely weak and has no energy. All he can do is sit. He is usually slightly better as the day goes on, and is often fine the next day. This appears to happen randomly. The last time it happened, we went to his GP, who seemed totally perplexed and sent him for a blood test just in case it's a virus, but we don't feel it is. Could it be part of the Alzheimer's? Has anyone else experienced this? It would be useful to know, as otherwise he'll probably just keep getting sent for more tests.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Greenlightsal
I do recognise this in some ways - dad has days when he's very late up and just not with it - but also nights when he just doesn't sleep - and visits when he's jolly and surprisingly with it
the only constant seems to be the unpredictability of it all :confused:

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Hi

I can recognise mum in what you've written. My mum has Alzheimers, probably just at the start of mid stage. I should also say she also has arthritis in her hip and shoulder.

There are days when mum struggles to walk, or stand and is very unsteady and says she is exhausted. When this happens (it's becoming more frequent) she will spend a good part of the day asleep in bed.

Mum's GP says its just her age and has prescribed Co-Codamol. I get that it could be the arthritis making her unsteady and that being in pain is exhausting, but at the same time I wonder if it has any relationship to her Alzheimers.

Mum's GP seems uncomfortable talking about her Alzheimers, he's made it plain that whilst she is under the memory clinic all questions about Alzheimers should was put to them. I'm not thrilled as it feels he's being unsupportive, but I suppose he doesn't want to tread on their toes. Mum has a memory clinic appointment at the start of January, I'll be asking about it then. If I find out anything useful I'd be happy to let you know.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband has Alzheimer's and had a collapse last Thursday. He has been in hospital since undergoing every kind of test. As of now nothing certain has turned up so I conclude this is just another aspect of Alzheimer's. They will give him a community alert bracelet when he leaves to call for assistance if it happens again.

With regards to the GP Lavender they are not allowed to prescribe certain drugs which the Memory clinic can. I think this is why GPS like you to keep going there.

Last edited:

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
My husband has Alzheimer's and had a collapse last Thursday. He has been in hospital since undergoing every kind of test. As of now nothing certain has turned up so I conclude this is just another aspect of Alzheimer's. They will give him a community alert bracelet when he leaves to call for assistance if it happens again.

With regards to the GP Lavender they are not allowed to prescribe certain drugs which the Memory clinic can. I think this is why GPS like you to keep going there.

Hi marionq

I think that's fair comment about prescribing anything, but he's made it fairly plain that asking questions, or looking for advice must be done through them, that's what I find hard as when I phoned the clinic they were pretty non committal too, so I'm hoping for some answers when we see the consultant.

Greenlightsal

Sep 10, 2013
Hi marionq

I think that's fair comment about prescribing anything, but he's made it fairly plain that asking questions, or looking for advice must be done through them, that's what I find hard as when I phoned the clinic they were pretty non committal too, so I'm hoping for some answers when we see the consultant.

Hi all, that is very interesting and I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. Our GP just called me with the results of Steve's blood test, which showed nothing untoward. She hasn't come across this before, but is going to write to Steve's Consultant to see if he has any ideas. We are lucky with our GPs here, as they are very open-minded and willing to discuss ideas. I am feeling more and more that it may be part of the condition and it will be interesting to see if anyone else responds. Thank you all very much xxxx

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
Hi everyone,
My husband is in middle stage Alzheimer's and in the last few months has been getting days when he wakes up and says he feels completely weak and has no energy. All he can do is sit. He is usually slightly better as the day goes on, and is often fine the next day. This appears to happen randomly. The last time it happened, we went to his GP, who seemed totally perplexed and sent him for a blood test just in case it's a virus, but we don't feel it is. Could it be part of the Alzheimer's? Has anyone else experienced this? It would be useful to know, as otherwise he'll probably just keep getting sent for more tests.

We have experienced this twice, the first time parent was so drowsy we could not wake him and the second time could not move his bottom half.

Hospital tests did not give any reason.

I saw a leading Alzheimers professor in the U.S he suggested that you should always suspect medications.

I spoke to GP and we decided on balance that dad should come off Rispiridone, in case that was the cause.

Donezepil can also cause tiredness.

Anti depressive and sleeping meds can also cause it in my experience

So check the side effects of the meds.

I call the CPN if I have questions or suspicions, they call me back to discuss.

Greenlightsal

Sep 10, 2013
We have experienced this twice, the first time parent was so drowsy we could not wake him and the second time could not move his bottom half.

I saw a leading Alzheimers professor in the U.S he suggested that you should always suspect medications.

I spoke to GP and we decided on balance that dad should come off Rispiridone, in case that was the cause.

Thank you! He is on Donepezil, but not Rispiridone, and he is on mild antidepressants (Sertraline). Will check x

Greenlightsal

Sep 10, 2013

....Sorry, what's the CPN? Apologies if I'm being thick.