Do i warn estranged family could be dad's last Christmas

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
To cut a long story short I have cared for my dad for 7 1/2 years 24/7 even before we got the mixed dementia diagnosis my sil and niece have hardly seen dad but they turned up when dad came out of hospital in June this year following an hip fracture I was extremely worn out so did not take much to set me off but when they started telling me what to do and what I should be doing I gave them both barrels they are not the ones who are up during the night with him and think they would pass out if they had to wash him when he has soiled himself and as you all know the list is endless anyway they walked out and not been near since... So now I'm wondering whether to tell them to put their dummies back in this Christmas and come to see him because I think this will be dad's last Christmas.. But on the other hand I shouldn't have to point this out to them should I?? What do you good people on here think.. Best wishes exhausted 2015 xx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
My thoughts
For goodness sake woman stop worrying about it. It's their choice whether they see him or not, it's NOT your responsibility to "look after" them. To keep them up to speed.

My kinder nicer thoughts are
Yeah I know what you mean. You get "helped" with such useless support you blow your top... and "they" punish you, therefore "they" punish dad..... But if they couldn't see it then, what makes you think they will see it now.....

It's your guilt monster talking. Making you think this way..... And as we know, guilt monsters don't deserve a thought and only get room if you give them some..... So don't

Yeah I know..... Easy typed, hard to do....

Hugs xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
I echo 2jays. You're not responsible for them. In any case, would their visit give your father any pleasure at all or would he prefer a quiet routine?

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Frankly, I don't know what this has to do with Christmas?
If they want to see your dad they will come to see him.
You have enough on your plate, Exhausted, without falling for the sentimental hype that implies that families should get together at Christmas, and all will be well.
Just concentrate on your dad and yourself, you don't need any further stress from relatives.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I echo 2jays. You're not responsible for them. In any case, would their visit give your father any pleasure at all or would he prefer a quiet routine?

I think you are fantastic by the way - all those years of consistent caring. I agree with the others. My only motivation for ever giving them information at all would be if I thought it would make a really positive difference to my loved one - if not i would put up the proverbial two fingers and ignore the lot :)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You could send them an email and mention that you think this could be your dads last Christmas and then what they do is up to them.....

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Thanks all!!

I think the general opinion is that they shouldn't need telling and to be honest I don't think dad would be aware that they weren't here... Not wanting to blow my own trumpet but I am the only one he asks for day and night "are you there gill " is what I hear, I just feel that I have a responsibility to let them know after all it was my tongue lashing that sent them fleeing with my brother behind them.. But he is ok and does pop in occasionally to see him. Well it is their loss if they don't see him again.. So childish and spoilt xx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I agree with the others, it's not up to you

If your brother sees Dad regularly, then surely he would tell them, then its up to them to make their own decision. No guilt, it's not necessary.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
I agree with the others, it's not up to you

If your brother sees Dad regularly, then surely he would tell them, then its up to them to make their own decision. No guilt, it's not necessary.

Yes you are right... But I'm wondering if they are apprehensive about coming to my home to see him but if they cared they would bite the bullet wouldn't they.. I suppose it's just me being sentimental about the season.. I'll plod on regardless.. Thank you xx

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
It's understandable that you think like that exhausted2015, but IMO you should concentrate on you and your Dad and putting your lovely plans into place. You are making happy memories and do not need them to be spoilt by tension and bad feeling.

Heidi xx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
It's understandable that you think like that exhausted2015, but IMO you should concentrate on you and your Dad and putting your lovely plans into place. You are making happy memories and do not need them to be spoilt by tension and bad feeling.

Heidi xx

Quite right Heidi xx after all they know where I live!! vv

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
I might go against the grain here but what I would do is listen to your gut. If YOU feel that if this does end up being his last Christmas and you don't make the effort, will you feel bad? If you think it will make no difference to how you feel then yes it's up to them.
What I am trying, so very badly, to say is, what ever makes you feel better is what you should do xxx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
I might go against the grain here but what I would do is listen to your gut. If YOU feel that if this does end up being his last Christmas and you don't make the effort, will you feel bad? If you think it will make no difference to how you feel then yes it's up to them.
What I am trying, so very badly, to say is, what ever makes you feel better is what you should do xxx

Hi susy thank you.. Yes I suppose I must do what makes me feel better after all I am the one caring for dad x I'm just all over the place with it at the moment.. But it will sort itself out I hope xx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
If you feel that maybe you were too harsh with the flea you gave them in their ear, then maybe mention to your brother that they are welcome to visit, ie offer a way out for them without having to say please come and see him?

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
If you feel that maybe you were too harsh with the flea you gave them in their ear, then maybe mention to your brother that they are welcome to visit, ie offer a way out for them without having to say please come and see him?

I think this would be a good approach - they may or may not come to visit but they will never be able to say in the future that they didn't think they would be welcome.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
I think this would be a good approach - they may or may not come to visit but they will never be able to say in the future that they didn't think they would be welcome.

Hi jugglingmum, I am going to do just that, I don't regret the things that were said that day but am prepared to welcome them if they want to see dad, I will leave the ball in their court xx just hope that if they do visit their attitude will be better xx. Thanks everyone for their views it has helped me to choose how to deal with it. Xx best wishes exhausted 2015 xx

Kitten71

Jul 22, 2013
East Yorkshire
I think the general opinion is that they shouldn't need telling and to be honest I don't think dad would be aware that they weren't here... Not wanting to blow my own trumpet but I am the only one he asks for day and night "are you there gill " is what I hear, I just feel that I have a responsibility to let them know after all it was my tongue lashing that sent them fleeing with my brother behind them.. But he is ok and does pop in occasionally to see him. Well it is their loss if they don't see him again.. So childish and spoilt xx

I think if they took a moment to consider why they were subjected to a tongue lashing, then they would see that you are at the end of your tether with it all. Ultimately they are responsible for their own actions but I think the idea of sending an email saying you think this may be dad's last Christmas is a good one. You've told them the situation as you see it and the rest is up to them. Most of my family have no idea dad is even ill, if they were in touch regularly then they'd know. It's their conscience at the end of the day. Mine feels perfectly clear. I'm doing my best and quite frankly, I haven't got the time or the energy to keep people posted, except for my sister, who keeps in touch anyway. Don't let them guilt trip you. They have no idea what a fabulous but difficult job you are doing xx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
I think if they took a moment to consider why they were subjected to a tongue lashing, then they would see that you are at the end of your tether with it all. Ultimately they are responsible for their own actions but I think the idea of sending an email saying you think this may be dad's last Christmas is a good one. You've told them the situation as you see it and the rest is up to them. Most of my family have no idea dad is even ill, if they were in touch regularly then they'd know. It's their conscience at the end of the day. Mine feels perfectly clear. I'm doing my best and quite frankly, I haven't got the time or the energy to keep people posted, except for my sister, who keeps in touch anyway. Don't let them guilt trip you. They have no idea what a fabulous but difficult job you are doing xx
Hi kitten thank you, you are so right in all that you have said.. Best wishes exhausted xx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Update on estranged relatives

Just to let everyone know I did hold out the olive branch to my estranged family my brother came and I asked him to let my sil and niece know that I thought it would be dad's last Christmas and they were welcome to come and see him... My brother came Christmas eve.. But sil and niece have been no where near ... I just hope they can live with the guilt... Even my son made an effort Christmas day with his grandad and we have had some severe problems with him but he went up to him with presents Christmas morning and we sat with him helping him to open them and explaining which each one was.all in all we gave dad a good day, one to remember . Best wishes for the new year exhausted 2015 xx

Last edited: