Risperidone

Danbar

Jul 26, 2015
My wife has been prescribed Risperidone 0.5mg to help her cope with her Paranoia. has anyone any experience of people using this drug.
Thanks for your responses

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I know several people who are taking this drug because of paranoia and aggression. It seems to work though the dose you describe is not a big one. The recommendation is for six weeks but some people are already on it for more than a year without any apparent ill effects.

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
Hello Danbar, my husband unfortunately is in a CH has been on Risperidone 0.5mg for the last couple of months. At first I thought they were helping, but for the last couple of weeks, he has been getting extremely upset and depressed. The GP wants to wait another month to see if there is any improvement. If not she will up the dose to see if it will help him. I personally don't want him on more medication, I feel he is on enough. I know several people on the drug and have been for some long time, with no ill effects.

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
My mother was prescribed. 5 x 2 a day but she had a high blood pressure reading so they have reduced to .25 x 2 a day.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
my mum has been on this for about 14 weeks or so no along with lorazepam and citalopram. I have concerns about her being on it for more than 10 weeks following articles that I have read on the alzheimers society web pages, but, as others have mentioned, some people do stay on it for a long time, with no obvious issues. I guess it's all down to individual circumstances, my mum is certainly "more manageable" with less paranoia and anxiety

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
My mam has been on Risperidone for a while now, although I can't remember how long, I'm so sorry. It's months though, rather than weeks. The aggression and violence she was displaying are virtually gone.

She is on a minute dose, but again I can't remember the exact amount - she started on a small dose and dad has gradually had it reduced even further. When it was increased again recently by a new consultant, mam became extremely agitated, so it was reduced again to a dose which seems to suit her.

I do hope it helps your wife - do let us know how it goes.

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
my mum has been on this for about 14 weeks or so no along with lorazepam and citalopram. I have concerns about her being on it for more than 10 weeks following articles that I have read on the alzheimers society web pages, but, as others have mentioned, some people do stay on it for a long time, with no obvious issues. I guess it's all down to individual circumstances, my mum is certainly "more manageable" with less paranoia and anxiety

I noticed you said your mother is on Lorazapam, how long has she been on this medicine. The doctor said it was very addictive other half been on them 1 mg 3 times a day for 3 weeks now. They want me to wean him off but I am scared he was in terrible place before he started taking it.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother was on risperidone for at least a couple of years. She developed Parkinsonism syndrome and we switched to another anti-psychotic.

My mother was on anti-psychotics for years and years as she was very agitated and aggressive. We only finally started gradually weaning her from her various behavioural medications after she had been in a wheelchair for a couple of years. Other than the Parkinsonism she exhibited when on risperidone long term, she never showed any other side effects. But I did keep a sharp eye on things.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My late husband was on 1.5mg of risperidone per day for over four years to control extreme paranoid delusions and terrifying hallucinations. He was also on trazadone, ebixa and exelon patches. Thankfully, he suffered no adverse side affects at all, to any of these medications. His consultant monitored him carefully, reviewing him every six to eight weeks. He tried several times to reduce the dose of anti psychotics, but with even a tiny reduction, William's paranoia and hallucinations came back. His consultant felt we had to weigh the risks of the medication against the risks of the affects of the stress caused by the delusions & hallucinations and also to weigh up the risks against the very much better quality of life that he enjoyed while on the medication.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
I noticed you said your mother is on Lorazapam, how long has she been on this medicine. The doctor said it was very addictive other half been on them 1 mg 3 times a day for 3 weeks now. They want me to wean him off but I am scared he was in terrible place before he started taking it.

I had to look at mum's hosp discharge summary to check the detail but it say 0.5mg "when required" . At the moment she is at a care home on a temp basis, so once she's home I will need to sort out the medication issues (along with all the rest that will need doing!)

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
I had to look at mum's hosp discharge summary to check the detail but it say 0.5mg "when required" . At the moment she is at a care home on a temp basis, so once she's home I will need to sort out the medication issues (along with all the rest that will need doing!)

thanks. I like it when it says "when required" that means every day.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
On TuesdayMy OH was prescribed 0.5 mg twice a day. Having readcup on itvI really wasnt sure if it was the right thing for him. He was packing to go home every night saw people in the house and talked to me in the evenings as if I was someone else.But the reading matter didn't fill me with confidence . Having discussed it at length with the consultant we Started in it on Wednesday. His general demeanor has mellowed. He still doesn't recognise where he is in the evening but is not packing to go home or getting distressed. He is just confused calling me to look at rooms, fixtures,pictures all the same as ours,he says he cant work out why they are the same as ours. Sleeping much better He has always been sensitive to medication but these changes seem to be very quick. The best thing is currently he is not distressed at all .
Sonthiscis our experience so far.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I remember when William had been on it a while, he said to me one day "What ever happened to those men that lived here too? Haven't heard anything out of them in a while. " And he remarked that the awful children that had been living in the trees outside appeared to have left. I was so happy to hear him say that! Seemed a bit odd that he remembered "the men" and "the children " as if they had been visiting and had now left, but it was like a miracle for us that the medication worked so well. He was so much more relaxed!

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
On TuesdayMy OH was prescribed 0.5 mg twice a day. Having readcup on itvI really wasnt sure if it was the right thing for him. He was packing to go home every night saw people in the house and talked to me in the evenings as if I was someone else.But the reading matter didn't fill me with confidence . Having discussed it at length with the consultant we Started in it on Wednesday. His general demeanor has mellowed. He still doesn't recognise where he is in the evening but is not packing to go home or getting distressed. He is just confused calling me to look at rooms, fixtures,pictures all the same as ours,he says he cant work out why they are the same as ours. Sleeping much better He has always been sensitive to medication but these changes seem to be very quick. The best thing is currently he is not distressed at all .
Sonthiscis our experience so far.

My husband was prescribed it and started taking on Thursday - I was really getting myself in a state about it after all I read about it but words here set my mind more at rest. He is in a care home and they said he was a danger to himself and the staff. He was on memantine every day with lorazapan given about 20 mins before they tried to shower him, but that didn't stop him being very aggressive. On Friday they said he had been given a shower and it only took 2 of them and although still resistive, they said he was a lot better than usual. I didn't expect a drug to work that quickly. he is being started on .25ml twice a day - I am being extra watchful for any signs of side effects. If this can make him less distressed then it has too be for the best.

When he was at home he was also getting delusions of strangers in the house and garden and saying that it wasnt his home and bringing his clothes downstairs and setting off "home" with them.

usedup

Aug 5, 2014
West Berkshire
Thanks to all posters on this subject. Several of the cases described are like the situation in which my wife finds herself. Now I must raise the issue with our GP and with the Memory Clinic

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
just coping

My husband was not prescribed respirodol but co-quetiapine 25mg. And I'm happy to say after 3 weeks the hallucinations have stopped. I hope it continues to help him.
Thanks to all posters on this subject. Several of the cases described are like the situation in which my wife finds herself. Now I must raise the issue with our GP and with the Memory Clinic

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband was not prescribed respirodol but co-quetiapine 25mg. And I'm happy to say after 3 weeks the hallucinations have stopped. I hope it continues to help him.

That's good news. It makes such a difference to quality of life for both of you, doesn't it? William was prescribed that medication first, but he may as well have been taking sweeties for all the effect it had, so he was switched to the Risperidone, which worked really well.

Frederic H

Apr 1, 2015
Devon
Respererdone

My wife has been prescribed Risperidone 0.5mg to help her cope with her Paranoia. has anyone any experience of people using this drug.
Thanks for your responses

The doctor prescribed this for my O/H half a pill between 2 and 3 pm to try and calm down her aggression both mental and physical towards me
#it is over a month now and things have been a lot calmer;

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024