Dad's daytime snoring!

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
For the past few weeks my dad has been making a very loud snoring type sound. It's not easy to describe, other than to say it sounds like he's snoring or very harshly trying to clear his throat. He does this almost constantly. It's very loud; so loud in fact, that I could hear him from the other end of the NH's corridor when I was in the lounge area. Dad isn't distressed or agitated by this. Dad is fed by the carers ( normal food) and has a good appetite (despite his continuing weight loss). The NH's GP has stated that because my dad 'wouldn't cooperate' when she tried to examine his throat, there's not much she can do. She did however prescribe a throat spray. So far, this isn't making any difference.
I wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar in later stage dementia?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You might want to ask about a referral to the SALT (speech and language therapy) team.

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
Thank you Beate. I became aware of SALT through this amazing forum sometime ago, so I did ask the duty nurse recently if they would refer him. She said that because he's eating well, they probably wouldn't get involved. I stated that they aren't just about that, but also deal with communication. I'm not sure how seriously she is taking it. I must add that I don't have much faith in this NH or the GP.

I did some research into SALT and although it states that anyone can refer, it does seem that some areas now need a GP referral. That's certainly the impression the nurse gave as well.

I suppose what I'm trying to establish is: should I involve someone from the SALT privately? As my dad's deputy, this would be in his best interest.

I'm concerned about this noise he's making, and the fact that they seem to not know.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Why dont you contact the SALT team and explain the situation? You may be able to self-refer, but if not Im sure they will say and may be able to suggest what to do.

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
Why dont you contact the SALT team and explain the situation? You may be able to self-refer, but if not Im sure they will say and may be able to suggest what to do.

Thank you Beate and Canary. I'll do that, and see what happens

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976