Continuing health care withdrawn

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
Has anybody experienced CHC being granted for 8 months , then withdrawn.

My friends mum aged 88 who has lewi body dementia has been sleeping on a hospital bed 4 years since october 2011. She is so healthly , apart from dementia and doesnt taken any medication.
She had a deterioration last november and was quite cold and unresponsive, received hospital care , told she was very ill with pneumonia but somehow managed to survive .
She nolonger was able to stand to use commode And had lost a little bit more weight.

She was awarded CHC but as my friend says because she hasnt died in 6 month allocation , funding has been withdrawn. For my friend to continue with level of care visits , including hospice at home she was quoted £535 PW
I am going to help her appeal against decision .
Has this happened to anybody else and what are chances of succeeding with appeal.

Bugsbunny4

Nov 6, 2015
Yorkshire
Has anybody experienced CHC being granted for 8 months , then withdrawn.

My friends mum aged 88 who has lewi body dementia has been sleeping on a hospital bed 4 years since october 2011. She is so healthly , apart from dementia and doesnt taken any medication.
She had a deterioration last november and was quite cold and unresponsive, received hospital care , told she was very ill with pneumonia but somehow managed to survive .
She nolonger was able to stand to use commode And had lost a little bit more weight.

She was awarded CHC but as my friend says because she hasnt died in 6 month allocation , funding has been withdrawn. For my friend to continue with level of care visits , including hospice at home she was quoted £535 PW
I am going to help her appeal against decision .
Has this happened to anybody else and what are chances of succeeding with appeal.

Hi,
I don't know much about this topic but if CHC has been awarded because of Section 3 of the Mental Health Act I have been led to believe it would be unlikely to be removed unless the mental health improved. You should certainly make an appeal and base it on the fact that in this case there is a medical need which still exists. :)

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Strongly recommend reading through the Continuing Health Care thread on TP and following up the links. Also strongly recommend the Beacon Healthcare free navigational tools and (up to 90 mins) free advice.