UTIs and confusion

Flossie50

Jun 7, 2015
Has anyone had experience of the confusion that comes on with a UTI in someone with dementia? How long is it likely to last if UV antibiotics are being administered? Currently (4 days after starting treatment) the intermittent confusion is indicating that return to home from hospital would not be advisable without instituting quite a lot of home care. I wouldn't like to just assume the worst and instigate removal to a care home if it is not necessary yet. Would appreciate anyone's views.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Has anyone had experience of the confusion that comes on with a UTI in someone with dementia? How long is it likely to last if UV antibiotics are being administered? Currently (4 days after starting treatment) the intermittent confusion is indicating that return to home from hospital would not be advisable without instituting quite a lot of home care. I wouldn't like to just assume the worst and instigate removal to a care home if it is not necessary yet. Would appreciate anyone's views.

my MIL had a UTI in March and after 3 weeks of different oral antibiotics ended up in hospital she was in for 3 days which was a nightmare .She had been living with us for 2 years because of her Vascular dementia. She sees things and does nit know us when she gets uti this one was very bad. She was seeing colours and people very odd. My MIL was not able to look after her self even before uti. She cannot make food hot drinks or even now cannot do her own personal care. I wold say the most help she will get at home is 4 visits and I would say that is not enough. I have cut my work hrs from home to look after her. she may be safer in a home.

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
my mum continues with the confusions until the antibiotics have cleared her system, it's not just the infection that makes it worse. it's probably worth holding off until she's clear of the AB's and the infection before you make any long term plans, although a respite unit might give you more thinking time.

good luck, lots of hugs x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. It could take my mum a few weeks after the infection had been cleared up before she started to improve

I hope you see a big improvement soon.

Last edited:

Flossie50

Jun 7, 2015
Thanks for the helpful replies. My dad was on his own at home before this, very forgetful but managing with frequent visits from my retired brother (I live too far away). He loves his home and garden, and, given the choice, would hate to leave it. My brother has been making noises about him going into a home for a while now and this infection-related confusion is giving him an opportunity to push that view but I feel it is too soon to make that judgement. Just hope he is kept in hospital long enough for the brain fog to lift. If he is discharged before then, anyone got experience of whether outside care could be used to get him ready for bed, help him with getting up and breakfast, if necessary, check that he takes medication and provide meals? Just for long enough for his mental state to be properly observed.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Before his discharge from hospital a care plan should be decided.

This could include a certain number of free carer visits/day under the reablement scheme (sometimes called continuing health care) and can last for a maximum of 6 weeks. It is designed for people suffering from an acute event to return to their former level of independence.

http://www.scie.org.uk/publications/ataglance/ataglance54.asp

EDIT

Also
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...de.pdf&usg=AFQjCNELChIVEMrAKXRaMEwlvKLO1xh0Dg

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Flossie50
whenever your dad is discharged, a reablement care package (could have another name) will be put in place to support him for 6 weeks, with the intention of keeping him out of hospital and help him settle back at home. My dad had 4 care visits = morning, to get him up, washed, dressed, breakfast + meds; mid-day for lunch and meds; teatime; bedtime. Plus OT and others came to the house to see if any adaptions would help him, check his mobility etc.
So there will be support - take everything on offer and keep asking if there is anything else - he is entitled to it!
It is an opening to ask for ongoing support eg day care, continuing home care visits.

Flossie50

Jun 7, 2015
Hi Flossie50
whenever your dad is discharged, a reablement care package (could have another name) will be put in place to support him for 6 weeks, with the intention of keeping him out of hospital and help him settle back at home. My dad had 4 care visits = morning, to get him up, washed, dressed, breakfast + meds; mid-day for lunch and meds; teatime; bedtime. Plus OT and others came to the house to see if any adaptions would help him, check his mobility etc.
So there will be support - take everything on offer and keep asking if there is anything else - he is entitled to it!
It is an opening to ask for ongoing support eg day care, continuing home care visits.

Thanks so much for that helpful response - it's a big relief if that happens in all regions. Is this arranged by social services or the hospital, or both together? And I assume they will meet with my brother to discuss everything? (I'm not kept very well informed).

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Do you know I can't actually remember how it was set up - I do know I didn't have to ask, it was organised for dad (who lived on his own too), so assume discharge officer from hospital and SS together - won't do any harm for your brother to ask now - or for you to phone the ward.
And yes, it was all discussed with me beforehand.
The carers who came for dad were super, and themselves reported back about anything they thought would help dad so were very helpful.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thanks so much for that helpful response - it's a big relief if that happens in all regions. Is this arranged by social services or the hospital, or both together? And I assume they will meet with my brother to discuss everything? (I'm not kept very well informed).

Hopefully you will find the Alzhiemer society Factsheet on hospital discharge helpful
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=173.

You will find all the fact sheets and other things if you click on Alzheimer's Society Resources under the first light blue line on every page.

Last edited:

Flossie50

Jun 7, 2015
Hopefully you will find the Alzhiemer society Factsheet on hospital discharge helpful

You will find all the fact sheets and other things if you click on Alzheimer's Society Resources under the first light blue line on every page.

Brilliant - thanks so much. Tried to ring the ward several times but no reply :(

Bizzylizzy73

Sep 16, 2015
Southport, Merseyside
My mum had uti and in Hosp for 10 days ish. The re enablement is set up by social worker, but I voiced my concerns about care in a more permanent basis. She sorted out both by getting a social worker assigned. Speak to ward sister when you visit your dad.
Ohh and as for length of time, can take up to 4wks to recover if uti was severe

Last edited:

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
I was so sure that Mum's deterioration and her sudden lack of engagement with others was down to a UTI. She suddenly seemed so vague and unwilling to participate in anything - even more so than usual.

Oh the difficulties I had getting her to give a sample! Of course, if you don't put anything in then nowt will come out. She cried because she couldn't pee, I tried to get her to drink some cordial so that she would actually have SOMETHING to wee out, she has been hardly drinking anything which further lead me to believe it was a UTI. Finally I managed to get her to have a wee in an empty margarine pot and transferred it to the sample pot.

Got the results today. All clear.

So hers is just a natural deterioration.

I really wish it had been a UTI.

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
Uti

I was so sure that Mum's deterioration and her sudden lack of engagement with others was down to a UTI. She suddenly seemed so vague and unwilling to participate in anything - even more so than usual.

Oh the difficulties I had getting her to give a sample! Of course, if you don't put anything in then nowt will come out. She cried because she couldn't pee, I tried to get her to drink some cordial so that she would actually have SOMETHING to wee out, she has been hardly drinking anything which further lead me to believe it was a UTI. Finally I managed to get her to have a wee in an empty margarine pot and transferred it to the sample pot.

Got the results today. All clear.

So hers is just a natural deterioration.

I really wish it had been a UTI.

Hi to your all on T P.i have also had my lovely wife June going through a UTI see seemed much better for a few days and was told it was all cleared up.now her dementia is worse they are checking her tonight on my insistence for a UTI.like you I hope it is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet