My wife can wander at night whilst I am asleep

Oresteia

Jan 21, 2015
Southampton
My wife has on several recent occasions attempted to leave the house during the night. Once successfully, because a door lock failed and she injured herself in the garden. Whilst I endeavour to secure the house, I am fallible like everyone else, and there is a risk she will find the keys anyway.

I could install a intruder sensor in the downstairs hall, but need it to wake me and not the neighbours. Price is an issue of course. And I need to be able to move around myself without waking my wife! (What is alright for the gander is not for the goose?? I feel hypocritical, but she is unlikely to be seeking indigestion relief....!)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Oresteia, welcome to TP
See the link below, it's a remote key fob operated alarm meant for a shed or caravan, you could just put it in a suitable place like the top/bottom of the stairs and it will only go off inside the house, if it's too loud a piece of tape over the siren should quieten it down a bit. You could use the battery operated window alarms on the doors as a back up (second link).
I've got the alarms on both my boat and shed but I bought them in one of the high street bargain shops for about £7 and they work well.
K

http://www.amazon.co.uk/control-battery-operated-intruder-workshop/dp/B009F9NQ2G

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-351-mda-door-and-window-intruder-alarm-n06jx

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
What about a pressure pad on the floor on her side of the bed? That way you'll catch her before she leaves the room.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
your local council should have a telecare department - they can be really really helpful with equipment - as cat says there are mat sensors for the floor, there are door sensors, window sensors all of which you can turn on and off, there are PIR lights - so many helpful things but try your local council first - or your social services will be able to direct you

Oresteia

Jan 21, 2015
Southampton
I'm happy with her going to the bathroom - I want some sleep! - it is just when she goes downstairs right now. And I had been pointed in the direction of £150 + when I asked my contacts. Nothing was coming for free right now.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Would a decent stairgate at the top of the stairs help? I know that these do work for some people

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
you could put it on the bedroom door of course but that would only work if you have an ensuite

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Try remaking link

We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
We have a door alarm through tele care and they installed it for free. It's connected to a radio similar to police radios and an alarm sounds . You can set it before you go to bed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point