Ideas of gifts

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I am thinking of getting husband some colouring books for Christmas. Are there other suggestions of gifts that have provided pleasure for loved one with dementia?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Photo album

I am thinking of getting husband some colouring books for Christmas. Are there other suggestions of gifts that have provided pleasure for loved one with dementia?

How about a photo album going back to old photos of the OH younger days up unti the present day. A bit like a this is your life in picture form. Would also help them to retain memories of friends and family.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I did a "memory book " for William's 80th birthday. I got a big scrapbook and put in photos of his grandparents, parents, himself as a child, his first wife who died in 1990, his children as they grew up and then with their spouses and children. Places he had lived, and even wrappers from his favourite chocolate bars, cards from friends, etc. He really loved it, and until his condition deteriorated too much, he would add to the book himself. He stuck in a feather from one of our chickens, and bizarrely, a pretzel! I labelled each item in the book very clearly as to who the pic was, and the nursing home staff, after he went to full time care, used to regularly go through the book with him.

chanelno5

Jun 14, 2012
colouring book and camera gifts

I bought my mother a lovely colouring book of geometric shapes in a certain shop where everything costs a pound - she really likes it. But I wouldn't advise paint for colouring it in - she uses multicoloured pens.

Photography is a hobby of mine and mother has appropiated one of my cameras which I let her keep and I put batteries etc in it.

My mother also loves a tambourine I got her.

Last edited:

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Thanks again. I have some ideas from here. Your responses are appreciated x

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
Christmas

Thanks again. I have some ideas from here. Your responses are appreciated x

I have bought hubby a early Christmas present,it's a album were you can put his life story in,plus photos,art work. Career works with him every week
Got it. From Meminio.com,already he gets great pleasure of looking back.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent

My sister is making dad a fidget blanket she is sewing lots of bits and pieces on it and backing it with fleece material so it will keep him warm too

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Any thoughts plse on what common plants and bulbs to avoid on safety grounds (eg poisonous leaves)?

Am also thinking in terms of one of those snow scene "glass" objects that you turn upside down to watch the snow drifting around. I'll have to check the safety aspects of those too.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Any thoughts plse on what common plants and bulbs to avoid on safety grounds (eg poisonous leaves)?

Am also thinking in terms of one of those snow scene "glass" objects that you turn upside down to watch the snow drifting around. I'll have to check the safety aspects of those too.

I'd not thought of the 'snow scenes' for OH, so thanks for that, A!soconfused. They seem to be made of plastic, so I suppose as long as they aren't dropped (or thrown!) onto a hard floor they should be safe enough. There may be glass ones available, I was just thinking of the ones I used to buy for a friend's daughter whenever we were abroad on holiday, and they were plastic souvenir types.
I recently bought a canvas-effect picture for my OH, incorporating LED lights, and one of those would make a nice gift.

On the subject of plants, most houseplants etc are sold with a care label (no, not 'wash at 40 degrees'!) The label should state whether it is harmful or poisonous in any way.

Last edited:

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
My mum likes the LED pictures on canvas of things like a cottage with lights blazing or a snow scene with twinkling lights. We got ours for under a tender from a garden centre.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
John's birthday was on Christmas Day, and for 50 years I'd always bought him several separate presents, as this was never the case when he was a child, especially when he was evacuated.

In the latter years, this proved a challenge, but I managed it. Presents included:

A photo cube of the grandchildren
Jigsaw puzzles (like you would buy a 4 year old)
Colouring books

Books with loads of photographs of the East End (where we both grew up)
Similar books about Army Life (he was in REME for 9 years)
Books about West Ham United

CDs of songs from the 1940s and 1950s
DVDs of films we had enjoyed
A book about anything he would express an interest in - as long as it had lots of photographs

After he died, I gave the lot to the Care Home. xxxxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I don't know about safety with plants but last year I got my mum an amaryllis which needed to be planted in its pot. She kept saying she could plant it, but never did(ability lost I guess) so I did it mid Jan, then she really enjoyed watching it grow. She wheeled it in her rollator into her bathroom every night as she thought the street lights would stop it growing. She did overwater it a bit (most common cause of house plant failure I've read for all of us) but it survived.

Each time I visited her she would show it to me and tell me it had flowers and ask me who had bought it for her. It gave her a lot of pleasure. I've planted some hyacinths in a pot for her now, and will get her another plant this christmas. She might end up with her flat overwhelmed with them!

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
Thanks everyone for all tbe ideas, I was struggling a bit with ideas for hubby that the children could get him. Now I've got a whole list for them.

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
Things that worked last year were those handheld puzzles you jiggle around to get the little silver balls to settle into holes round a simple shape. He had several and for weeks would do them competitively with one of our carers.
Also from the same shop. A couple of plastic objects like large timers where you turn it upside down and coloured liquid flows slowly to the other end, ours are very pretty and he enjoyedwatching the Patterns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimonC