Self funding - do we need any assessments?

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Hi

I'm reluctantly facing putting dad into residential care. We self fund at the moment as he has a generous private pension. His home care was arranged through ASC as I'd no idea where to start but I wondered if I do make this move, do I need to have any assessment of any kind or do we just get on with it?
I've seen a cap mentioned but I'm sure this doesn't come into effect yet.
Thanks all. I've really no clue as we've gone from dad living independently to this in a few months.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
You can just get on with it, any homes will assess him themselves. Depends on where you live as to whether you will get any help from ss. They are allegedly now helping and advising self funders but in our area that just consists of giving you their list of homes and leaving you to get on with it.
We are not at that stage yet and my husband was not assessed for home care even, I sorted that out myself.Personally I wouldn't bother with ss but that is this area. Others may have a different view.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
We had one meeting with SW when mum was still at home and we were looking into care support at home. We were told that mum didn't meet the criteria for them to get involved, as she didn't need help with personal care.

So although I did discuss residential care with mum's CPN when the time came I did my own research and arranged the assessment directly with the home I eventually chose. It took a lot of time, but I just assumed that there was no point contacting SW again. Having read a lot of threads here about the frustrations of dealing with SW I don't regret the do-it-yourself approach.

I thought the introduction of the care cap would make it more worthwhile for self-funders to have an official assessment that a person's needs can best be met in a care home setting, but now it's been delayed to 2020 (and who knows what will happen then) I don't think it's worth it.

Last edited:

filbert

Nov 5, 2015
Worcestershire
I'm wondering the same - I have been told that there are some changes coming up later this year and it would be best to get an assessment before that happens.

Does that make any sense to any one?

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
My dad went into a care home and was self funding. We never saw a social worker or had any involvement with them.
I wouldn't bother getting them involved they really are not interested if you are self funding.

Any home you select will come out to assess him at home to see if they can provide the care he needs.

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Really sorry I've not thanked you all for your replies, things took a turn for the worse and life's been chaotic.
I've chosen a lovely home that offers nursing and residential care. They've mentioned CHC assessment but as dads self funding I'm not sure if he's eligible

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Really sorry I've not thanked you all for your replies, things took a turn for the worse and life's been chaotic.
I've chosen a lovely home that offers nursing and residential care. They've mentioned CHC assessment but as dads self funding I'm not sure if he's eligible

If your Dad qualifies for CHC his assets/savings or investments do not come into it. He will be eligible because his health care is his primary need and that warrants the NHS paying for his care.

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Thank you! I'm going to apply, poor man has paid enough into the system!

realist1234

Oct 30, 2014
Thank you! I'm going to apply, poor man has paid enough into the system!

I understand its very difficult to get CHC (you practically have to be dead!), but as he is self-funding at the moment, ensure that you also apply for Attendance Allowance - this is not means-tested and just depends on the level of care required. Its around £80 per week I think.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
If they have recommended him for CHC then definitely go for it, no assets taken into account. Check out the threads on here there is some excellent advice and because it is hard to get it is well worth knowing your stuff and fighting for it - with a bit of luck the nursing home will have a good idea too xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95