Sundowning

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
I think we are experiencing what you call sun downing. My OH doesn't seem to be able to stay sitting down for more than five minutes. He's polished the kitchen work surfaces several times over and although he says he is very tired keeps moving about doing bits and bobs. He went up to bed earlier but was down again ten mins later to fidget some more. He has gone back up stairs again but I can hear him still moving about.

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Sounds just like Mrs M. Now demands supper as soon as it goes dark. I prepare it, then she does the washing up. I then follow her around; recovering the frying pan from the fridge, the spatula from the bread bin, the drain plugs from the microwave etc etc. She then decides to go to bed: but after 5 minutes is back in the kitchen to polish the table top. Back to bed with a glass of water, and then 10 minutes later, back in the lounge cos she forgot to get undressed, can't find her pyjamas, which I had carefully laid out on the electric blanket, and doesn't know how to switch the bedroom light off. Another 20 minutes and back in the kitchen, looking for a biscuit cos she's hungry and can't get to sleep. And why hadn't we had supper yet anyway? Yes Jean, I think you've met sundowning.Welcome to the club, grin and bear it, and keep smiling.
malomm

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
maloom

Sounds just like Mrs M. Now demands supper as soon as it goes dark. I prepare it, then she does the washing up. I then follow her around; recovering the frying pan from the fridge, the spatula from the bread bin, the drain plugs from the microwave etc etc. She then decides to go to bed: but after 5 minutes is back in the kitchen to polish the table top. Back to bed with a glass of water, and then 10 minutes later, back in the lounge cos she forgot to get undressed, can't find her pyjamas, which I had carefully laid out on the electric blanket, and doesn't know how to switch the bedroom light off. Another 20 minutes and back in the kitchen, looking for a biscuit cos she's hungry and can't get to sleep. And why hadn't we had supper yet anyway? Yes Jean, I think you've met sundowning.Welcome to the club, grin and bear it, and keep smiling.
malomm

Yes Malomm sundowning is so difficult for the person suffering but very hard for the carer to stay patient and good humoured. I have struggled today as the weather just cold and raining and OH in and out to the shed for hours. I have to put towels on the mat where he is in and out ,cos it gets so wet. And all the heat goes out as the cold comes in. Not in the mood for it today but had to grin and bear kit.! x