Imagining things .....

kennedy1948

Oct 7, 2013
Huntingdon
My husband has vascular dementia and has suddenly started seeing things .......yesterday he asked me if I had put the dog out, we no longer have a dog and when I reminded him of that he said well he was lying by your feet just now. He also asked me if the girls had gone home on a day when we had no visitors, he said they were sitting on the sofa. He is on Memantine and I wondered if it was the cause or if the dementia has progressed again. I would welcome your comments.

Maggie

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Do you think it might be possible that he has a urinary infection or is a bit under the weather? My Mum sometimes used to dip for a few days and often she went back into the past when she had just woken up

kennedy1948

Oct 7, 2013
Huntingdon
Do you think it might be possible that he has a urinary infection or is a bit under the weather? My Mum sometimes used to dip for a few days and often she went back into the past when she had just woken up

Thank you for your response .......he seems well but maybe there is something brewing.

Maggie

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
just coping

My husband is going through this also. Last night he woke me 5 times to see if had seen the man running around the house. I told him no one can get by the door alarm, he said they are coming through the walls. I's very frustrating. We are just waiting for his MRI results to see what type he has.
My husband has vascular dementia and has suddenly started seeing things .......yesterday he asked me if I had put the dog out, we no longer have a dog and when I reminded him of that he said well he was lying by your feet just now. He also asked me if the girls had gone home on a day when we had no visitors, he said they were sitting on the sofa. He is on Memantine and I wondered if it was the cause or if the dementia has progressed again. I would welcome your comments.

Maggie

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
My husband also has vascular dementia and constantly thinks there are other people in the room. He will suddenly say where has the man gone who was sitting in the chair, when no-one has been there. He is convinced we have two dogs although we only have one now. He has never been given medication to help his memory. xxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
My Dad had vascular dementia and he was always 'seeing' things.
In his world it was the real thing and we had to go along with whatever he was saying. Quite hard at first but we had a lot of practice so we could act with the best of them.

Just a few of his were;-

-We have never had a dog but we acquired two who Dad used to love throwing food to.
-Jars of coffee flying past the window.
-We've been on sinking ships.
-Dad was reading out a story from the walls and curtains.
-He was being kidnapped (this was horrible for him)
-He saw children being mutilated (We wondered if this was during the war)
-Horses in the hospital (he said the staff were feeding them to the patients)
-People coming into his house (It was the television)
-He told us all the clocks said a different time (we only had one, the rest were pictures).
Too many to mention them all.

Obviously we had to treat each one in a different way and try and find out which part of his life some of them were referring to (The ships were when he was in the navy). Some were easy but others were so obscure they must have been down to his infections.

If he was ok with it so were we but the horrible ones were upsetting.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
When my mum had an infection she insisted the lady in the opposite bed had a snake going up her arm! She hates snakes. Must have been awful, when we went to visit she told me I wouldn't believe what happened on the ward at night. Very worrying but then we found out she hadn't been treated for four days for the UTI she came in with.

When she was transferred to another hospital she wanted to walk home sixty miles as she could hear someone abusing a child, my son. All in her head, but even now two years on she says she won't return to the hospitals, so I dread what will happen.

She does also tell me about the ten cats all different colours in her garden bouncing like lambs, the wallpaper keeps moving and is convinced the tall building behind the house opposite is amazing as its floating! I just usually say to her oh what a shame I missed it, or think it's okay now, or in respect of the building I bet they get a lovely view!

Don't worry it's all part of it I'm afraid, just don't contradict them, agree or change subject or offer a cuppa usually works.

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
When my mum had an infection she insisted the lady in the opposite bed had a snake going up her arm! She hates snakes. Must have been awful, when we went to visit she told me I wouldn't believe what happened on the ward at night. Very worrying but then we found out she hadn't been treated for four days for the UTI she came in with.

When she was transferred to another hospital she wanted to walk home sixty miles as she could hear someone abusing a child, my son. All in her head, but even now two years on she says she won't return to the hospitals, so I dread what will happen.

She does also tell me about the ten cats all different colours in her garden bouncing like lambs, the wallpaper keeps moving and is convinced the tall building behind the house opposite is amazing as its floating! I just usually say to her oh what a shame I missed it, or think it's okay now, or in respect of the building I bet they get a lovely view!

Don't worry it's all part of it I'm afraid, just don't contradict them, agree or change subject or offer a cuppa usually works.

Reading your post I don't have experience of the visual issues you describes with my OH who has AZ, he hears things rather than seeing them, but some of them remind me of what my Mum experienced when her macular degeneration progressed - particularly the moving wall paper and floating building. Not that anything could be done about that either!

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
imagining things

hubby has vascular dementia and when we visit him in the care home all sorts of things have happened, last time he told me there had been a big fight and some one chopped off some ones head. we to have had a horse in the lounge people in his wardrobe people come and take his things [but put this down to the carers coming in] the lights in the lounge reflect in the windows and he has to catch them because people eat them. i know this sounds as if i have made it up but we get this most of the time and he has no uti, this is just what he see,s we go along with whatever is out there ,as long as he,s happy i dont think it matters

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Maggie my hubby see's things most of the time, some things a nice, some are not, the worse one was, it took 4hrs to get my hubby back into our house because he thought a man whom he had seen in the mirror (himself) was going to kill him, he did not recognise himself, hubby has Vascular Dementia, and AD he does take Memantine. Hope this helps you

kennedy1948

Oct 7, 2013
Huntingdon
Thank you

Thank you all for your replies, this forum is so helpful and comforting because it makes us feel that we are not going through this heartbreak of looking after a loved one alone. The nurse at the Memory Clinic told me today that she thinks Tony's dementia has progressed again sadly. ........

Maggie

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Thank you all for your replies, this forum is so helpful and comforting because it makes us feel that we are not going through this heartbreak of looking after a loved one alone. The nurse at the Memory Clinic told me today that she thinks Tony's dementia has progressed again sadly. ........

Maggie

So sorry to hear that Maggie (((((big hugs)))))