Fast changes.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
I finally got my OH settled and calm after months of raging, hating me and violent episodes towards me. He wanted to go on holiday to have some sun so I took him to Cape Verde for 2 weeks as a last holiday. After 2 weeks of stress I was so glad to get home as all of a sudden he has declined so much. I now have to get his clothes sorted so that he puts on the right clothes and I was having to dress him and put on his shoes. His use of a knife and fork are declining and he really doesn't know what he is meant to be doing.
Last night I took him out with me as I don't leave him on his own and when he said he wasn't feeling well I got up to bring him home straight away when he collapsed on the floor and lost consciousness. They called an ambulance and took him to hospital but the blood test and ecg didn't find anything wrong. Is this normal and will it possibly happen again as they just discharged him and said it was due to him standing up. But he had already told me he was not well before standing. He has since spent the next 14 hours asleep and is very confused now he is up. I am worried it might happen again when I am alone with him. On his last Ecg his heart rate is 50 but the nurse says that's shows he is fit.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
What a lot you are and have been contending with, angiebails.
I completely understand your concern over the collapse and aftermath - it doesn't sound 'normal' to me. Please do call an ambulance again, at the very least 111, if anything at all untoward happens, and do get your GP out to check over your OH as soon as you can (typical that it's the weekend) - you need someone to put your mind at rest.
Is there anyone who can come and stay overnight as moral support?

Last edited:

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
It sounds very worrying for you , do you think he may have an infection of any kind brewing.111 were very helpful to me when I needed out of hours advice, so would be well worth phoning them as it may put your mind at rest.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Angie, 50 sounds low, presume they did his blood pressure standing and sitting? When my husband was put on medication to try to control how many times he needed to wee at night it had a disastrous affect on his balance because his blood pressure plummeted when he stood up, and he did fall a couple of times before it was stopped. Other meds can cause this problem too such as beta blockers. Hope you can find an answer soon it's such a worry when you're on your own, but if he does fall at night call the ambulance rather than struggle and injure yourself.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
I assume we are moving into another stage. I can't believe anyone could sleep so much. I don't know whether it's the medication as he is on risperdol and donepezil. I have put the number 111 by the phone to use just in case it happens again and now is the time to find some good help in the house and with him.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
Yes they did his blood pressure standing and sitting and he said they were very different but because blood came back ok he said there was no problem.

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
A heart rate of 50 bpm might be acceptable in an athlete.

Is there any possibility your OH has a UTI?

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
I finally got my OH settled and calm after months of raging, hating me and violent episodes towards me. He wanted to go on holiday to have some sun so I took him to Cape Verde for 2 weeks as a last holiday. After 2 weeks of stress I was so glad to get home as all of a sudden he has declined so much. I now have to get his clothes sorted so that he puts on the right clothes and I was having to dress him and put on his shoes. His use of a knife and fork are declining and he really doesn't know what he is meant to be doing.
Last night I took him out with me as I don't leave him on his own and when he said he wasn't feeling well I got up to bring him home straight away when he collapsed on the floor and lost consciousness. They called an ambulance and took him to hospital but the blood test and ecg didn't find anything wrong. Is this normal and will it possibly happen again as they just discharged him and said it was due to him standing up. But he had already told me he was not well before standing. He has since spent the next 14 hours asleep and is very confused now he is up. I am worried it might happen again when I am alone with him. On his last Ecg his heart rate is 50 but the nurse says that's shows he is fit.

If it was just from standing, get him to stand up slowly in future. If they didn't test his urine, get a sample tested to eliminate uti. Presumably they took his temp. If it happens again, call for some help to get him up if you are on your own or ambulance if necessary.
I make sure I have my phone with me when getting OH up and down the stairs as can't comprehend how to tackle steps himself. The confusion with your OH could be just part of the course.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Just googled Donepezil and one of the first contras mentioned is 'may cause dizziness, drowsiness or fainting'. Has your husband been on it for some time or is this fairly new? Hope you had a reasonable night. xx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Hi angieballs. I know it's probably not the same thing but Fred started just lying on the floor for absolutely no reason at all. The first time it happened a friend who is a nurse was wIth me. She checked him out and we called 111 who advised a GP visit the following morning. He was thoroughly checked over and no reason found. This happened on several occasions and continued on his move to the CH where it was realised that he was actually putting himself on the floor and lying there until he felt lIke getting up. It just suddenly stopped one day and we never understood why he did it unless it was a form of protest!

happybunny

Mar 28, 2013
HappyBunny

Hi this sounds like my other half. He started collapsing in July 1st episode he knocked himself out and had a three day stay in hospital. The third fall ended up with 2 bleeds on the brain another stay in hospital , three weeks ago exactly the same ,out for the count so I called an ambulance again. All his vital signs are normal ,the same as your oh. This week we had to see a neurologist who said he was having mini seizures so has prescribed medication. It might be something you need to look into as my oh has never had any problems like this before.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
A heart rate of 50 bpm might be acceptable in an athlete.

Is there any possibility your OH has a UTI?

My husband's normal heart rate is 38/40 and always has been. That is why he was never prescribed Alzheimers drugs as they lower the heart rate even further. John was and is a slim healthy chap but at 82 he is no athlete!

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
Well today he is feeling much better and we have been out for 1/2 an hour shopping and he hasn't had any problems so I will have to see how it goes. He did have a TIA about 8 years ago due to an irregular heartbeat but since being on the medication he hasn't had a problem but it does say that the risperdol can cause strokes so I am a bit wary. The problem is I can't take that off him as before taking it my life was a living hell due to hallucinations and him trying to kill me.

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Almost passing out

Well today he is feeling much better and we have been out for 1/2 an hour shopping and he hasn't had any problems so I will have to see how it goes. He did have a TIA about 8 years ago due to an irregular heartbeat but since being on the medication he hasn't had a problem but it does say that the risperdol can cause strokes so I am a bit wary. The problem is I can't take that off him as before taking it my life was a living hell due to hallucinations and him trying to kill me.

I was very interested to hear you talk about your OH collapsing. My OH has had three separate episodes when he almost passed out, went white as a sheet and said he felt hot but was cold as ice and clammy to the touch. On each time it was in a public place and an ambulance was called. Each time at the hospital they did extensive tests, once keeping him in over night for observation but couldn't find anything wrong. All this happened before taking medication for his AZ. No one seems to know what causes it, perhaps it is a side effect of Alzheimer's?

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
To be honest I think he had a mini stroke as it had happened before and I think he was fitting and sweating profusely. They did an ecg for his heart and checked his blood pressure all of which were fine. But since he has been very slow and more confused than normal and he also hallucinated which he doesn't seem to have done for a while. I think because I told them he had dementia they just brushed it under the carpet, because he couldn't explain for himself his symptoms.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
For the first time at home he went walkabout in the night. He has done this when we have been in the motorhome but never in our own house. I heard him walking about and was a little nervous on seeing what he was doing in case he was looking for one of my lovers!!! But eventually after 5 minutes and of hearing the back door opening I went down and he was stood in just his slippers looking out the door. I assume he thought he was going somewhere as his jeans were by the front door. He didn't know where he was so I directed him back to bed again he shouts me and asks what's happening and whose is all this stuff and I ask he to go to sleep. Another sleepless night for me.