'Instant' Diagnosis

Nokin

Nov 4, 2015
I'm 63 years old and my wife will be 59 on Saturday.

I've been a spectator here on TP for around three months, trying to assimilate information to help us with the illness that seems to be enveloping my wife.

The (brief) backstory is that my late MIL was diagnosed with Pick's Disease in 2005 and passed away in 2010. I also have a Brother-in-Law aged 54 who is diagnosed with PD, although he was born with 'learning difficulties' which make neurological diagnoses difficult.

About six months ago my wife's speech seemed to be slightly slurred, and she started having problems swallowing. She also started having leg cramps and seemed to be shuffling when walking. There was nothing too dramatic but her speech problem was becoming more noticeable and she also had a couple of sudden falls so we saw the GP who referred her to the movement disorder clinic.

So finally this week we have just had her first appointment at the clinic, with a consultant neurologist. After discussion of her family history, and a thorough examination, the consultant, in a perfectly reasonable and kindly manner, explained that his diagnosis is Motor Neurone Disease.

One hell of a shock! We were thinking maybe Parkinson's, hoping that it wouldn't be Pick's/FTD, and it feels like we've actually driven straight into the abyss.

I've read so many posts on here referring to the length of time taken to be given a diagnosis, that I don't think we were expecting anything more than a maybe an hint of some possibilities initially, but this has come without any hesitation or reserve.

Anyway, the cycle of tests and scans etc. has begun, and so has the nightmare for my poor wife. In her heart, and in mine, I think we both know that the consultant is right

Nokin

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read of your wife's diagnosis. It must be devastating for you both. I know you will be doing your utmost to be strong for her. I wish you much strength.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I am so sorry to hear of your wife's diagnosis too. I will be thinking of you over the coming weeks of investigations. Please try to take great care of yourself during these extremely difficult days. Did you know there is an MND forum? http://forum.mndassociation.org/forum.php

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon

I've been a spectator here on TP for around three months, trying to assimilate information to help us with the illness that seems to be enveloping my wife.

The (brief) backstory is that my late MIL was diagnosed with Pick's Disease in 2005 and passed away in 2010. I also have a Brother-in-Law aged 54 who is diagnosed with PD, although he was born with 'learning difficulties' which make neurological diagnoses difficult.

About six months ago my wife's speech seemed to be slightly slurred, and she started having problems swallowing. She also started having leg cramps and seemed to be shuffling when walking. There was nothing too dramatic but her speech problem was becoming more noticeable and she also had a couple of sudden falls so we saw the GP who referred her to the movement disorder clinic.

So finally this week we have just had her first appointment at the clinic, with a consultant neurologist. After discussion of her family history, and a thorough examination, the consultant, in a perfectly reasonable and kindly manner, explained that his diagnosis is Motor Neurone Disease.

One hell of a shock! We were thinking maybe Parkinson's, hoping that it wouldn't be Pick's/FTD, and it feels like we've actually driven straight into the abyss.

I've read so many posts on here referring to the length of time taken to be given a diagnosis, that I don't think we were expecting anything more than a maybe an hint of some possibilities initially, but this has come without any hesitation or reserve.

Anyway, the cycle of tests and scans etc. has begun, and so has the nightmare for my poor wife. In her heart, and in mine, I think we both know that the consultant is right

Nokin

My post disappeared somewhere, but I just was saying I wish you both great strength during the investigations and what follows, I will be thinking of you. Don't forget to source and accept any help you can get whenever it is needed.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Nokin, how devastating for you and your wife to have that diagnosis and at such a young age. I do hope you get lots of help and support.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry Nokin. I expect you have heard that Picks/FTD and MND are often associated.
" Don't forget to source and accept any help you can get whenever it is needed."
I second that

Jennyc

Oct 3, 2011
Kent
How frightening for you both, what a difficult thing to have to face so abruptly, when you were expecting such a different diagnosis. I do hope you get all the help you need and have a supportive family. My thoughts are with you.

Nokin

Nov 4, 2015
Thanks for all your words of support, and thank you "fizzie" for the MND link.
Anyway, it's my wife's birthday today so we're trying to make the most of it, and help her to really enjoy it because I think she realises that next year won't be the same.

Nokin

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thanks for all your words of support, and thank you "fizzie" for the MND link.
Anyway, it's my wife's birthday today so we're trying to make the most of it, and help her to really enjoy it because I think she realises that next year won't be the same.

Nokin

I hope she and you have a lovely day.
Carpe diem - Seize the day

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Nokin

Nokin
Please know that everyone here on TP cares about you and your wife. I wish you all the best and please keep in touch.xx