llawllim

llawllim

Nov 4, 2015
Hello all, I have been kind of unwell for a long time. My letter say s I have plenty of Gegenhalten, this is related to dementia. I don't know if Gegenhalten means a person has dementia which would explain things out , or if it is that people with dementia have Gegenhalten.I hope that makes sense Any advice please. I have a wait to see doctor.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello llawllim

I haven't heard of Gegenhalten and am not much wiser after a Google search. I would need to talk to a doctor to gain any understanding of it.

I just want to welcome you to Talking Point and hope someone on the forum can relate to your difficulties

llawllim

Nov 4, 2015
Hi grannie G I wanted to say thanks for your reply but not sure hire to reply to your message

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello and welcome to TP.
I had to google the word Gegehalten, I came up with this definition
Paratonia or gegenhalten is defined as "a form of hypertonia with an involuntary variable resistance during passive movement."[1] In other words, attempting to move the limb of a person with paratonia will result in that person involuntarily resisting the movement. The amount of resistance is determined by the speed of the movement: faster, more forceful movements will result in greater amounts of resistance.
What I think this means is, for example if we've asked a sufferer to " lift your foot" to put on a slipper, the foot is unable to be lifted and is firmly rooted to the ground, simply stuck there.
This can be a sympton of dementia, but I suspect you will have to wait for the clinic for more information.
Good Luck.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Teepa Snow spoke about this in a video. She used an example of someone getting out of a chair. As much as they want to rise up they are actually pressing down and are therefor unable to rise.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Teepa Snow spoke about this in a video. She used an example of someone getting out of a chair. As much as they want to rise up they are actually pressing down and are therefor unable to rise.

That sounds very like how Bill is when he won't get out of the car.

llawllim

Nov 4, 2015
Yes thank you all, its just nice to be able to mention it without worrying people.I will know more in December when I see doctor.you tube was interesting thanks