Night time incontinence

jules4

Jul 21, 2015
Running out of ideas. Seems to save urine up until night time. Can be quite dry all day. But at night soaking wet. Strong pads and inco sheet but sopping wet bed every morning. No longer safe to get out of bed at night to use loo or bottle. Just wish could find strong pads that would last all night. Any recommendations.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Have you had advice from a continence nurse or clinic? If not I would strongly advise this. Checks can be done re bladder etc and advice given re which continence product is most appropriate. I know that members' experience of this service is mixed but it's worth exploring it if you haven't already done so. Our referral to the clinic was made through the GP.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I agree with Izzy. You should try to get referred to the continence clinic. The common problem is that the pads they supply tend to be less effective than the best you can buy. But the clinic should also give you other advice which might help.

I would suggest that you try these. They come in small, medium or large and the websites of the suppliers will give you the range of measurements for each. 'Maxi' is the absorbency - nearly 3 litres as you see.

I also wondered whether it's possible for you to change the pad during the night?

Last edited:

jules4

Jul 21, 2015
Thankyou

We have seen incontinence nurse and do get pads. But they aren't strong enough for. Nighttime. So will try the ones you have recommended. And yes think I will have to start changing him through the night. Just so tired but think I'll have to start doing that.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Jules

No haven't tried those so will get some thanks
So sorry that you are having this trouble. I don't have an answer any different from the others but I do know there are aids out there which don't involve pads. You need to get back to the doctor. Good luck.x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

patchworkamber

Jan 6, 2014
south east wales
Another remedy might be 'double padding'? Putting a daytime slip pad inside the night time one. Also re changing him at night, could you roll him from side to side to minimise the disturbance?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Double padding is not advised by most professionals as it doesn't actually help with absorbency and increases the risk of skin breakdown. Kylie sheets however are a godsend as they wick a lot of moisture away from the skin so that the person doesn't lie on a soaking wet sheet all night.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I was told, by the continence nurse, that I shouldn't use Kylie sheets as well as the pad for the same reason, that is skin breakdown. I complied to begin with but I confess to being back to using the kylies as well as the pads. Most nights it saves a while bed change. Other nights it doesn't.:cool: We are very vigilant re skin breakdown.

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
Running out of ideas. Seems to save urine up until night time. Can be quite dry all day. But at night soaking wet. Strong pads and inco sheet but sopping wet bed every morning. No longer safe to get out of bed at night to use loo or bottle. Just wish could find strong pads that would last all night. Any recommendations.

Kylie and pull up pant pads work for my OH, no skin problems yet.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Izzy.

We tried the conveen sheath but it was a disaster. Either he pulled it off or he managed to detach the bag. Either way big mess!
http://www.coloplast.co.uk/Global/C...gclid=CLnnqebN8sgCFcLnwgodUrQMLw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

I guess it it different for some people to others. Friend of mine,s husband used a conveen for a long time. Such a difficult problem to deal with. My husband weed on the carpet when he was on drugs that were too strong. I can still smell it if the room has been shut up. Even though I tackled it with a carpet shampooer. Not sure about the spelling of that !!!!!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I guess it it different for some people to others. Friend of mine,s husband used a conveen for a long time. Such a difficult problem to deal with. My husband weed on the carpet when he was on drugs that were too strong. I can still smell it if the room has been shut up. Even though I tackled it with a carpet shampooer. Not sure about the spelling of that !!!!!

Have you tried urine eliminator on it? You can get it either from places that rent carpet shampooers or similar stuff from pet shops. You might have to treat it a few times if it's an old problem.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
LadyA

Have you tried urine eliminator on it? You can get it either from places that rent carpet shampooers or similar stuff from pet shops. You might have to treat it a few times if it's an old problem.

Thankyou. I will try to find some.xx

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
Just joining in to add my say on this night time problem. I too have been told that using high strength pads, and doubling up with a booster pad runs the risk of compromising my OH skin. But if I have to get up 3 or more times a night to keep changing him so he stays comfortable I can't able to cope with the level of exhaustion that causes. And he would have to go into a home, which I want to put off until there is absolutely no other way of caring for him well enough.
So, like Izzy, I and our carers are vigilant to the extreme about the care of his skin but do use the extra pads, disposable bed pad, draw sheet, Kylie sheet, waterproof mattress cover. And still change him at least once a night, and still get some leaking through into PJs etc as he is very restless and manages to displace things, thank goodness for all these disposable bits.The washing machine is on overtime as it is.
One product which I don't think has been mentioned, if it is OK to give the brand name,
was recommended by our main carer, and is on prescription. It is available as a cream and a spray - we use both - it is called Proshield. It does an excellent job of protecting his skin.