Brain training for research into dementia

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
It looks interesting and as it's an authentic study and I like doing puzzles, I've just signed up for it after being reassured that I can withdraw at any time.

Thank you Jan.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'll be signing up for it too. It's Kings College which monitors me for brain donation.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
brain training for elderly improves every day life and memory skills

Study shows brain training for elderly improves every day life and memory skills
Playing online games which exercise reasoning and memory skills could have major benefits for older people, a wide-scale study has found.
Researchers at King's College London discovered that mental exercises, or "brain training", can improve people's everyday lives, helping with tasks like using public transport, shopping, cooking and managing personal finances.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/study-shows-brain-training-elderly-6756861

Dr Doug Brown, from the Alzheimer's Society, said: "Online brain training is rapidly growing into a multi-million pound industry and studies like this are vital to help us understand what these games can and cannot do.
"While this study wasn't long enough to test whether the brain-training package can prevent cognitive decline or dementia, we're excited to see that it can have a positive impact on how well older people perform essential everyday tasks."

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note that I've now merged the two threads on this study.

Thanks,

Harriet

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Well, I'm trying to register, but after the first page it just flicks back to an empty first page. Maybe they don't like/want me!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Yes, Spamar, it's a bit fiddly isn't it!
I half did it then could go no further but received an email saying I could now register.
However, I've now hesitated, to give me time to think about it as I'm not sure I want my GP involved if
I deteriorate for any reason.

Last edited:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I'd really just like to do the puzzles, without being involved in a study.

Does anyone know of a good site where I could access these please?

Lindy xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'd really just like to do the puzzles, without being involved in a study.

Does anyone know of a good site where I could access these please?

Lindy xx
That would be my preference too, Lindy but I think these are specifically for the study.
I might return to it after a 'think'.
I'm just wary of my GP being informed if I start to do badly in the tests for some reason
that mightn't be related to early dementia. I wish there was a get out option for that.

There are lots of brain training apps around. I have a few CD rooms with them on somewhere.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
That would be my preference too, Lindy but I think these are specifically for the study.
I might return to it after a 'think'.
I'm just wary of my GP being informed if I start to do badly in the tests for some reason
that mightn't be related to early dementia. I wish there was a get out option for that.

There are lots of brain training apps around. I have a few CD rooms with them on somewhere.

Thank you Saffie :)

I think I'll have a look for some apps and see how I go......xx

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

Just to follow up on this, we've been given some extra information by the researcher involved in this study, which you can read below. It explains why informed consent is needed, and why this includes agreeing for a GP to be contacted if necessary.

I hope it's helpful :)

• This is a research study so we do have to ask for consent and certain personal details to enable us to complete the study.
  • All data is stored extremely securely, in encrypted format and in compliance with the strictest Data Protection regulations. We do not pass on any details to third party organisations.
  • DNA samples are stored anonymously and are not linked to any personal data. They are used for research purposes only.
  • Our ethical approval for the study demands that we have GP details for all participants. This is so that we can contact the GP if a participants' cognitive performance drops to a level that would concern us. This is not a diagnostic process but it means we can contact the GP and suggest they follow up with a clinical assessment. We would not be allowed to conduct the study if we didn't do this for ethical reasons.
  • Requesting medical records is standard research procedure. Again, all records are stored anonymously and in accordance with Data Protection.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I thought it looked great too until I read about the GP - i'm definitely not going to sign up as I don't want someone who doesn't know me informing my GP that I have memory problems even more so because this is a study to find out how robust the tests are so it might be their tests rather than my memory lol

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
I have signed up for this study it involves having a DNA swab and initial assessment which will be redone every so often and brain training puzzles also a questionnaire about how you manage things day to day also they have a,questionnaire for a nominated person to do about you.
I don't mind them informing my doctor if there was a a decline in my cognitive reasoning but I think you have to make your own mind up about this.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
I have signed up for this study it involves having a DNA swab and initial assessment which will be redone every so often and brain training puzzles also a questionnaire about how you manage things day to day also they have a,questionnaire for a nominated person to do about you.
I don't mind them informing my doctor if there was a a decline in my cognitive reasoning but I think you have to make your own mind up about this.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm taking part although I've hit a hitch with an external site which won't allow me to proceed. It seems more have signed up than were expected to .

I've done most of my initial tests and found some of them very difficult. :eek:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I've nearly completed all the initial assessments - and found some parts hard too, Grannie G - I'm consoling myself with the thought that it isn't meant to be easy, otherwise they'd get no real results.
Dementia has devastated my dad, and torn apart my family - anything I can do, which does me and dad no harm, and that may help make life for others in the future less horrible, seems worth it to me.
And given that many who are finally diagnosed never thought themselves to see their GP - and that I have no partner to watch over me - I thought that maybe if they do see something in my assessments that they think warrants investigation, maybe I will get more support than currently we see many here coping without. Who knows.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I have signed up for this today. I'm having a problem submitting a couple of the initial assessments (medical history etc) as the 'submit' button won't work!

Slugsta I had that but found that I'd somehow missed a section - when I checked back and filled everything in it sent OK. Not sure if this is what you're finding.