Mum was alert, aware, even walking with zimmer, then within 2 days she had relapsed

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello. Welcome to TP.
I've just read your first post, I hope you don't mind me copying it here.
. My Mum is also immobile, completely unable to move herself/change position. She has eating drinking problems, incontinence, what she says makes no sense/does not relate to what is being said, has frequent infections, does not know me, and at times confuses Dad with her own father. When I suggested that she may be in the latter stage of Alzheimer's, nurses and the ward doctor were horrified.

I have heard of some people improving and relapsing but to be honest never by so much.
I'm wondering if it's possible that undetected infections are causing a temporary downturn and the recovery is when mum may be free of them

I've just read Maureen's reply above, so I'm obviously wrong in my thinking about such huge temporary improvements

Last edited:

finequine

Oct 29, 2015
Grampian, Scotland
Hello. Welcome to TP.
I've just read your first post, I hope you don't mind me copying it here.
. My Mum is also immobile, completely unable to move herself/change position. She has eating drinking problems, incontinence, what she says makes no sense/does not relate to what is being said, has frequent infections, does not know me, and at times confuses Dad with her own father. When I suggested that she may be in the latter stage of Alzheimer's, nurses and the ward doctor were horrified.

I have heard of some people improving and relapsing but to be honest never by so much.
I'm wondering if it's possible that undetected infections are causing a temporary downturn and the recovery is when mum may be free of them

I've just read Maureen's reply above, so I'm obviously wrong in my thinking about such huge temporary improvements

Yes, Mum has had 6 infections in 4 months and 3 falls in the 6 weeks she has been in hospital. She seems to be better one day, bad the next, and better the next day. She is currently infection free, but is once again being moved by full body hoist. I have spoken to w cousin whose father wlso had Alzheimer's and he followed a similar pattern to mum. This may be a family idiosyncrasy.

finequine

Oct 29, 2015
Grampian, Scotland
Thanks for the replies. I am flying a bit blind here and dealing with Dad who also has dementia makes everything even more difficult.

Really appreciate this.