just coping

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
My husband has had alzheimers for 6 years now. He has been on aricept or a generic pill for 4 of those. they have slowed down the process. He is currently having hallucinations which is very difficult as he doesn't believe they are not real. He had a bunch of knives and sticks in his bedroom but thankfully that has passed now. He does put my walking stick against the front door of the apartment. Which is better than the chair he did use for a while. We got out for coffee and a bagel every morning and he is very happy with that. If it's nice we will go a walk in the afternoon. Sometimes he goes on his own. It was hard for me at first because he was the one who did all the cooking now I have to do everything. I don't keep great myself as I have a lot of back problems. I use a mobility scooter which lets me go out as often as a like.It's difficult getting in and out of the car because he never remembers it from one day to the next, so I have to explain to him what has to be done. He sleeps a lot. Doesn't do any activities now. He used to do the crossword all the time but can't cope with those anymore. I have a lot of support from my two daughters who both live in in the same city. I live in London Ontario.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.

Its good you have started a thread and hopefully you will get much support here.

I see you live in Ontario and wonder what sort of support you get there.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Bestgirl

My husband has had alzheimers for 6 years now. He has been on aricept or a generic pill for 4 of those. they have slowed down the process. He is currently having hallucinations which is very difficult as he doesn't believe they are not real. He had a bunch of knives and sticks in his bedroom but thankfully that has passed now. He does put my walking stick against the front door of the apartment. Which is better than the chair he did use for a while. We got out for coffee and a bagel every morning and he is very happy with that. If it's nice we will go a walk in the afternoon. Sometimes he goes on his own. It was hard for me at first because he was the one who did all the cooking now I have to do everything. I don't keep great myself as I have a lot of back problems. I use a mobility scooter which lets me go out as often as a like.It's difficult getting in and out of the car because he never remembers it from one day to the next, so I have to explain to him what has to be done. He sleeps a lot. Doesn't do any activities now. He used to do the crossword all the time but can't cope with those anymore. I have a lot of support from my two daughters who both live in in the same city. I live in London Ontario.

Hello and welcome to talking point. You sound as if you need a bit of help. Have you contacted your local mental health clinic. There is help out there but you need to push yourself forward to get it. I wish you all the best in going forward to Social services etc for their help.x

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Six years is a long time, Bestgirl. I don't have a motor scooter yet, but that day will have to come as my spine is very bad now, along with the other arthritic joints.

Don't know how things work in Ontario, but I'm willing to look links up for you. Have you tried to get help?

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
support is pretty good in London. I have not been to any group sessions yet but plan to do so in the New Year

Its good you have started a thread and hopefully you will get much support here.

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
Tomorrow my husband is having an MRI and this will tell us what type of alzheimers he has. Hopefully he can get some medication for the hallucinations. I have been told these will pass, hopefully it will be soon.

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
yes it's been a long slow process. I'm not sure what is best a quick process or slow. I'm just happy he is still here regardless of the problems
Six years is a long time, Bestgirl. I don't have a motor scooter yet, but that day will have to come as my spine is very bad now, along with the other arthritic joints.

Don't know how things work in Ontario, but I'm willing to look links up for you. Have you tried to get help?

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
yes I've had help and been given lots of brochures and of course there is always the internet. Hopefully the MRI tomorrow will help in identifying the type and maybe some medication to resolve the problems for him. .
yes it's been a long slow process. I'm not sure what is best a quick process or slow. I'm just happy he is still here regardless of the problems

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
We have many social help places here in London. The problem is my husband still doesn't think he needs any help so won't go. . I am going to try and go to Mind in Motion in the new year
Hello and welcome to talking point. You sound as if you need a bit of help. Have you contacted your local mental health clinic. There is help out there but you need to push yourself forward to get it. I wish you all the best in going forward to Social services etc for their help.x

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
yes I've had some recent help that's how I found out about the help line. I've been trying to find one in Canada but so far can't. I've had god responses in this one.

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
I'm still finding my way around T.P. whats the difference in using "respond to member" or "post a comment"

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I'm still finding my way around T.P. whats the difference in using "respond to member" or "post a comment"

Good question - not sure - so this is an experiment
This one is reply to member
and seems to have automatically quoted your post
so is a reply to that specific member's post on the thread

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
And this is Post a comment
ah - no quote!
so this is a reply to the thread overall

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Exactly. "Respond to member" means you are answering a particular post, and that post will appear in your reply, as a quote. and "Post Reply" (is that what it says?) means that you are just replying in general to the thread, and not to any particular post.

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
thanks for the help. Now I need to know what it means with a green mark on your name
Exactly. "Respond to member" means you are answering a particular post, and that post will appear in your reply, as a quote. and "Post Reply" (is that what it says?) means that you are just replying in general to the thread, and not to any particular post.

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
My O.H. had his MRI yesterday. He was very confused all morning before we left for the appointment. My daughter came with us so that was good. It was quite a while at the hospital but they said he did very well during the 40 minutes in the machine. I just have to wait a week for the results now. Hope it tells us what type of alzheimers he has and that he can get some treatment. .