Mother with Alzheimer's disturbing dad sleep night after night.

Suziesibb

Jan 14, 2014
Mums 83 is wandering in to dads room at all hours of the night and early morning during sleep hours, and talking to him. It is having an exhausting effect on 85 year old father who also has Vascular Dementia and huge mobility problems and is weak generally.During the most recent event, mum told him to get up and take them home! [they are in their home and dad can't weight bare but he was about to try when the carer rushed in!} We have a 24 hour live in carer who is wonderful but is having problems up to 10 times a night with mum disturbing dad. Any suggestions or first hand experiences of how to deal with this are most welcome.

Last edited:

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
There is something you can put on the mattress or the floor that alerts another person to them getting out if bed, would this help as the carers there, maybe it will give them time to sort her out before disturbing dad.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
There is something you can put on the mattress or the floor that alerts another person to them getting out if bed, would this help as the carers there, maybe it will give them time to sort her out before disturbing dad.

I think that's a good idea. This is a very simple one -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/pressure-mat-yb91y

You can see more complicated and expensive ones if you google pressure mats. Our OT gave us one but it was linked to the community alarm. I eventually gave it back as I didn't need to alert the community alarm people every time my husband got up.

The thing with this is the mat alarm would probably waken your mum as well. Would a baby alarm with a monitor in the carer's room help?