Double padding

robinson01

Oct 18, 2015
Both parents just gone into care and I have noticed that my Dad is being double padded .Is this the norm in nursing homes ?

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Sorry.................

Too read this Robinson & no **double padding** is not the norm:( in N H & any good caring N H or C Home should NOT be doing this ! > Have worked in C H's for many years ( not Care Staff ) But as a Kitchen Assistant how ever am aware of caring duties etc as my good friend is a Carer & am aware of what is right or wrong Plus quite often have been at Staff Meetings where Care Issues etc are raised & I do remember it being said each resident should be assessed in having their OWN correct Pads !

hope this helps & hope you are able too discuss with Senior Nurse or Manager etc

Good Luck ! > Just too add hope other T P 'ers can offer more advice than I can & the problem is soon sorted out ! )

Grove x x

Last edited:

Tray2283

Oct 5, 2015
I'm not sure but I remember working in the care industry & double padding was not allowed. It would make sense to have padding that was could absorb more urine, plus it could cause the patient to become sore x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've been told from several sides that double padding is completely useless as it doesn't adequately address the problem of absorbency. I am not a nurse so don't know how true this is.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I've been told from several sides that double padding is completely useless as it doesn't adequately address the problem of absorbency. I am not a nurse so don't know how true this is.

That's what the continence service told me. If the pad isn't absorbent enough then they should be taking advice on what level of absorbency is appropriate.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Know enough care workers to know that they do not and are not allowed to do this. I experimented once with 2 pads, firstly one on top of the other and then side by side, poured water slowly, the pads were no more absorbent and probably very uncomfortable and sore for the wearer. The only reason I could see for anyone doing this is wrongly thinking they are saving on amount of changes needed/time. Or benefit of the doubt, maybe his carers think one is not absorbent enough, so they need to sort fast.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Nope it should not be happening - continence nurses have told us it is useless and is an old practice which is not necessary with today's pads. It can make people sore and uncomfortable. My first step would be to ask the home why they are doing it. Did he have pads before he went into the care home and do you know what they were and if they worked well?

Well spotted!!!

robinson01

Oct 18, 2015
Nope it should not be happening - continence nurses have told us it is useless and is an old practice which is not necessary with today's pads. It can make people sore and uncomfortable. My first step would be to ask the home why they are doing it. Did he have pads before he went into the care home and do you know what they were and if they worked well?

Well spotted!!!

Yes Dad did use pads before he went into care . Myself and my sister cared for him and we never needed to double pad him. We had spoke with the care manager last week about some other issues which she said she will address with the carers . It was yesterday after Dad had been bathed did I notice the double padding . We are logging all our concerns and will meet again with the care manager next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife