Afternoons

LEP

Oct 13, 2015
I usually have my mother over (she is currently in a care home) each week to get her hair done.
This is usually in the mornings, however, last week she was busy in the morning so came for the afternoon. At about 3.30-4pm she suddenly became very vague , went floppy and would not open her eyes. She was moaning but responded somewhat when I spoke to her.
We took her back to the carehome, where they said that she often does this in the afternoon evening and it was all part of the dementia. My question is has anyone else experienced this? My mum is usually quite alert and is still very upset that I have put her into care but is resigned to the fact, she says she does not like the home and although I have tried I cannot get her moved to another home as they are not secure (as the one she is in) and although I believe she would not wander off the home say that she does try to get out and is usually rounding up the other residents to go with her. I have not witnessed this and mum seems very cognitive whenever I speak to her she denies all of this and is quite surprised that someone thinks she does this.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hello LEP and welcome to Talking Point (TP). Sadly, your mother's behaviour in the later part of the day is not at all uncommon, in fact it is extremely common. It is referred to as sundowning and generally occurs in the latter part of the day. Here is more information for you.

Patricia Alice

Mar 2, 2015
I usually have my mother over (she is currently in a care home) each week to get her hair done.
This is usually in the mornings, however, last week she was busy in the morning so came for the afternoon. At about 3.30-4pm she suddenly became very vague , went floppy and would not open her eyes. She was moaning but responded somewhat when I spoke to her.
We took her back to the carehome, where they said that she often does this in the afternoon evening and it was all part of the dementia. My question is has anyone else experienced this? My mum is usually quite alert and is still very upset that I have put her into care but is resigned to the fact, she says she does not like the home and although I have tried I cannot get her moved to another home as they are not secure (as the one she is in) and although I believe she would not wander off the home say that she does try to get out and is usually rounding up the other residents to go with her. I have not witnessed this and mum seems very cognitive whenever I speak to her she denies all of this and is quite surprised that someone thinks she does this.

Hi Lep,

Your post brought a smile to my face because my mum did this at the previous home, rallying the troops to escape, but she did think she was in prison.

Sundowning can come on mid-afternoon and as the nights draw in, it can start earlier, this is when my mum used to start her escape route. She of course, like your mum, denied trying to do this, but we used to hide and as soon as she thought we had left we would see her jump up and tell the staff 'you can't keep me here' I have done nothing wrong, get the police, I am leaving now, get my daughters etc etc. So it is quite common.