Deferred Payment Scheme for Care Fees

Bessieb

Jun 2, 2014
Does anyone have experience of the deferred payment scheme for care home fees? My parents house is on the market but I'm not sure how long it will take to sell - property is rather slow in their area. I have been made aware of the deferred payment scheme by SS - and we've got a while yet - but I was wondering if anyone has experience of it. Does it take a long time to agree? are all requests agreed? does it cover all care fees etc.
Any insight greatly appreciated

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello, I took the DP scheme out for my Mum's fees.I did have to provide a copy of the LPA ( legal and financial) naturally to prove I was empowered to make these decisions for Mum. It went through very quickly without any problems. I had already put Mum's house on the market. The paper work was straightforward and the valuer agreed with the SW's rough valuation ( about 25K less than the Estate Agent's optomistic asking price) They also allowed about 10K for expenses so Mum's house was on the market for £150K but they used a DP limit of about £112K
Her DP ran for 2 years and the house had not sold during that time.There was no pressure from the LA even though I'd had some very silly offers which I'd refused, but when we were due to move house we hit a snag and ended up moving into Mum's House. OH decided we should just stay there, so I sold her house to us.( We have, since, spent generously on rewiring, plumbing,kitchen bathroom etc etc!)
The DP was paid back within the agreed 56 days post sale time scale.

I may have been fortunate, but I had no problem with the scheme.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hi, me again:rolleyes:..... forgot to ask, :rolleyes:....... you say it's your parents' house, does that mean that you need finance for both of them or is it just that the house was home to both of them once upon a time?:confused:

My Mum...(see above post) lived alone, but went into a privately run Residential Care Home which did have an EMI wing attached. The LA had a reduced fees contract with them while the DP was in place, but when we took over the fees they went up by about £100 per week.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Does anyone have experience of the deferred payment scheme for care home fees? My parents house is on the market but I'm not sure how long it will take to sell - property is rather slow in their area. I have been made aware of the deferred payment scheme by SS - and we've got a while yet - but I was wondering if anyone has experience of it. Does it take a long time to agree? are all requests agreed? does it cover all care fees etc.
Any insight greatly appreciated
I have organised one for my Mom and it was easy to set up. For me the decision was easy as my LA are not charging interest or any set fees. Yours may be different.

Before agreeing they have to set out all charges so make sure you read those carefully as if the property does sell quickly it may not be worth it.

Also bear in mind that if you do enter into one and change your mind about selling the house the amount can be paid back by any means.

Good Luck.:)

Bessieb

Jun 2, 2014
Hi, me again:rolleyes:..... forgot to ask, :rolleyes:....... you say it's your parents' house, does that mean that you need finance for both of them or is it just that the house was home to both of them once upon a time?:confused:

My Mum...(see above post) lived alone, but went into a privately run Residential Care Home which did have an EMI wing attached. The LA had a reduced fees contract with them while the DP was in place, but when we took over the fees they went up by about £100 per week.

Hi Cragmaid, Yes it's for both of them. Both sadly have AD and have gone into a CH together. It's a privately run CH...not sure of their relationship with the LA...I've got quite a good agreement for a couples suite but think it might be more £ than the LA normal funding. Glad you had a good experience of it...am going to investigate with our LA so I know the process if we do need it.

Bessieb

Jun 2, 2014
Thanks all. Very encouraged that these schemes seem to work and quite easy to set up. Gives me a bit of reassurance if we do run in to difficulties selling the house.