Worried about John

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hazel,

I was sorry to read your post as it seemed as if things were settling down with John.

Couldn't you just swear at the professionals some time? Ten days ago a consultant informed me that my Dad had dementia and that he would deteriorate. I refrained (just) from saying "No **** Sherlock!" Wouldn't it be nice if the professionals started from the assumption that we may not be medically qualified but we are not idiots and have bothered to do some research into our loved one's illness? :mad:

I hope the GP can give you some answers tomorrow.

Thinking of you and John.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Wouldn't it be nice if the professionals started from the assumption that we may not be medically qualified but we are not idiots and have bothered to do some research into our loved one's illness? :mad:

Now you're being unreasonable, Sue! :D

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hazel,

I was sorry to read your post as it seemed as if things were settling down with John.

Couldn't you just swear at the professionals some time? Ten days ago a consultant informed me that my Dad had dementia and that he would deteriorate. I refrained (just) from saying "No **** Sherlock!" Wouldn't it be nice if the professionals started from the assumption that we may not be medically qualified but we are not idiots and have bothered to do some research into our loved one's illness? :mad:

I hope the GP can give you some answers tomorrow.

Thinking of you and John.

Sue - I was once questioned closely by my mother's doctor over something that I'd said that showed I understood something about her condition and I'm afraid to say that in response to a "how do you know that" I answered "I can read" which wasn't meant to be as sarcastic as it sounded :)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks, Barb and Christine. I hope he's all right tomorrow. I'm supposed to have a philosophy class tomorrow afternoon, but it's a case of 'expect me if you see me' these days.

Trying to be philosophical about it -- but I've got a lot to learn!

PS Connie, thanks for your message, I missed it before, we were posting at the same time. Yes, they're myoclonics. I don't think there's anything they can do about them apart from tranquillisers.

I know you posted recently about Lionel's seizures -- they're terrifying to watch. Is Lionel more settled now?

Love,

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hazel, thanks. Yes Lionel is settled again, although he has dropped a notch or two.

It is hard to tell in a man who has no ability to function at any level.

Sodium valporate is the med. he is on for the seizures, although he has been on that now for about 8 months.

Fingers crossed for you and John. Love n'hugs,

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Hazel, I'm sorry to hear that John is poorly and hope things even out soon. Thinking of you both. Love Deborah

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Hazel,

Just catching up with what's going on..sorry about the latest down turn with John.

It seems you just get settled and something else turns up!

Do look after yourself...hope today's ok for you both..

Lots of love Gigi xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hazel - I have just 'clocked in' hoping to hear news of John.
I hope things are ok - I hope you can post later as I am sure many of us are very interested. We all care about you!

I could not agree more about the 'jerks':p around - nothing to do with myoclonic episodes. (Thanks for the link Hazel - I will look into it later).

Thinking about you Jan

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Hi
I've got out of sync with what's happening too. Sorry to hear it's a real story of major ups and downs. Hope a few more ups come your way.
We've had a strange start to 2008. OH has just recovered from pneumonia, and, while walking the puppy on Thursday I did a stunning impression of Dancing on Ice, except I fell and now have a cracked sternum.
Never rains but it pours.
Keep your chin up.
Sharon x
PS Interested that you're taking a philosophy class, something I've always had an interest in.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh Sharon - I don't want to be a downer but I did that (cracked my sternum) 30 years ago and, I kid you not, it still hurts sometimes.:(

snooky

May 12, 2007
devon
Dear Hazel,
Sorry to hear John wasn't so well yesterday, it must have been a real worry. Gosh it is like a rollercoaster isn't it, you just never know where you are with this illness sometimes. I hope John has had a better day today and you too.
Take care
Snooky xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I hope you`re not in too much discomfort Sharon.......and hope it doesn`t take 30 years to heal.

Love xx

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Dear Hazel,

Have only just caught up with the thread,

When Dee doesn't help by not doing what I expect, I get so annoyed inside but I catch my breath as I know what is making her do it.

So can understand how you felt.

Will look again later to see if you are posting again.

So much feeling for you both,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sharon, wondered where you'd got to. Sorry to hear about the cracked sternum, hope it's not too painful. I'd love to have seen your ice dance -- don't suppose anyone had a camera handy?:)

I've been at the NH most of the day. John's much better, not as jerky, but very weak. They kept him in bed all day, so I stayed with him, apart from a short break for dog-walking.

The GP finally arrived at about 2pm, thought it was probably epilepy. If he has another seizure, he'll have to go to hospital for tests -- they don't do it for only one! They're testing for infection again -- in the meantime, wait and see.

Why do I not feel re-assured?

Thanks for the messages, much appreciated.

Love,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
When Dee doesn't help by not doing what I expect, I get so annoyed inside but I catch my breath as I know what is making her do it.

Dear Cliff..

I know how you feel..I think you have it worse than me..

but know that feeling..and how hard it is to subdue your natural reaction to something "unexpected"..
It takes tolerance,time,tenacity..and true love..

The 4 T's (unless anyone has another to add!)

Bless you Cliff...Love Gigi xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Hazel,
Why do I not feel re-assured?

Try to..it's a waiting game now which is never easy..Am hoping for both your sake's John won't have to go into hospital..fingers crossed..thinking about you

love Gigi xx