GPS Trackers

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
I thought I would post here telling you about the tracker I have just bought dad.

His Care Manager and CPN had never heard of such a detailed tracker.

This one is credit card sized, but thicker. Once they have it on them or in their pocket you can track the wearer in real time on your computer screen or mobile PDA.

You set boundaries by drawing on a map where the wearer can go, and as soon as they cross that boundary you are alerted by text and/or email(the alerts can go to more than one person).

Dad has agreed to wear it, fingers crossed he will. Tomorrow we will see eh!

It also alerts you if the unit is not being worn, and also it has a fall mode to alert you if the wearer falls over.

The signal is tracked to within 12ft.

For me, this is going to give me enormous peace of mind as dad is still very keen and eager to go out locally.

I'm not sure what your rules are on advertising here, so I won't publish the name/make of the unit, but anyone wanting info can message me.

Hope this helps someone.

Beverley

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Keeping it on the person would certainly be a concern. Perhaps having it velcroed into a pocket or better yet an area the person won't notice would help in keeping it on the person.

It sounds like a good idea to me.

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
I posted a thread on GPS the other day, and it was moved but seems to have vanished so I thought I would post it again (I originally put it in the wrong section).

I thought I would post here telling you about the tracker I have just bought dad.

His Care Manager and CPN had never heard of such a detailed tracker.

This one is credit card sized, but thicker. Once they have it on them or in their pocket you can track the wearer in real time on your computer screen or mobile PDA.

You set boundaries by drawing on a map where the wearer can go, and as soon as they cross that boundary you are alerted by text and/or email(the alerts can go to more than one person).

Dad has agreed to wear it, fingers crossed he will. Tomorrow we will see eh!

It also alerts you if the unit is not being worn, and also it has a fall mode to alert you if the wearer falls over.

The signal is tracked to within 12ft.

For me, this is going to give me enormous peace of mind as dad is still very keen and eager to go out locally.

I'm not sure what your rules are on advertising here, so I won't publish the name/make of the unit, but anyone wanting info can message me.

Hope this helps someone.

Beverley

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Moderator Note:

Ok - it was an artifact of the forum changeover we did a few months ago - our sterling web team has sorted it out now. I've combined the 2 threads but left all the posts otherwise I think it might be more confusing for everyone (well for me :rolleyes:)

mayfield

Jan 17, 2008
Northamptonshire
GPS Tracker

Can you let me know the make please, if not here ( Moderator note: Sorry - it is policy to not allow the posting of email addresses on the site. Please communicate via PM

Also would love to hear on your feedback on it as have looked at a couple but would like to hear the real world experience of it!

many thanks

mayfield

Last edited by a moderator:

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Hi Mayfield - I'll send you a private message.

OK - today, GPS tracker installed and tested.

Bit fiddly to install the software, but the technical guy was helpfful.

Setting boundaries extremely easy. Click on a map, click again, and again etc.. and then the lines join up. That is the area the wearer can go in freely. That boundary as big or small as you like. I've set Dad's to cover the cemetary, post office and my daugthers school. He can walk freely in those without it alerting me.

Paul (my husband) tested it fully tonight. I put the monitor on so I could watch the screen. As soon as he crossed the boundary, it texted both me and my husband saying 'dad boundary'.

I watched on screen in real time where Paul was. He kept ringing me saying, where am I know. It was accurate to a minute a degree (they say within 12ft, and that would appear to be 100% true).

It can text the alerts, email them, or a combination of the two.

So, after intial tests, I would say it looks great.

I will post updates etc. I showed Dad on the computer, and he knew we were tracking Paul. I explained to Dad he would need to carry the tracker, just in case he got lost and he was very agreeable to it.

If you have any questions, send me a message.

Beverley:):)

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Update

I thought I would put an update on the tracker.

Well, after a few teething troubles, it all seems fine. It does still seem for some reason to not always want to pick the signal up - but, then bingo, it's perfect.

I explained to Dad what it was, and that I wanted him to keep it with him all the time. He laughed and asked if I expected him to get lost, and informed me he wasn't 'nuts' and could easily find his way home! However, I said I would end up 'nuts' if he didn't wear it as I would worry - so, he kissed my forehead and promised he would. And... so far, he has! He doesn't rememeber to put it in his pocket, so I just put it there in the morning, and he happily leaves it there.

Friday, he went off on his own, and the signal pinpointed exactly where he was. He went to the cemetery, came out, walked up to the florist, went back to the cemetery and then straight home.

For those of you who have loved ones that still want their independence, I would recommend a tracker. They are £300 - but, worth it for the peace of mind it gives.

Beverley x

bclark

Feb 15, 2008
greenhithe kent
dear beverly i was interested in your information about trackers as my husband went missing last october with the dog they were found after 36hours he was found in lewisham, he had walked from greenhithe, kent to lewisahm he had on him next of kin information in his wallet with a name chain, he does not wander he just got confused it was a wake up call to me that he cannot take the dog out by himself anymore the police did say that if alan had a mobile switched on they could have tracked him, so i have been looking in to devices, i have information on companies that sell indoor warning devices as well as outside i have shared this information with our local dementia support group. but if you would like to send me details either by private link thanks bclark

Last edited:

davecalvert

May 30, 2008
hull . u.k
dear beverley , could you please forward info about tracker you are using , we have similar problems as yourself with my father aged 75 but still loves his walks on his own , he has gone a.w.o.l twice lately but managed to return home , this sounds like an ideal solution , any advice would be appreciated , wishing you well ,Dave
I thought I would put an update on the tracker.

Well, after a few teething troubles, it all seems fine. It does still seem for some reason to not always want to pick the signal up - but, then bingo, it's perfect.

I explained to Dad what it was, and that I wanted him to keep it with him all the time. He laughed and asked if I expected him to get lost, and informed me he wasn't 'nuts' and could easily find his way home! However, I said I would end up 'nuts' if he didn't wear it as I would worry - so, he kissed my forehead and promised he would. And... so far, he has! He doesn't rememeber to put it in his pocket, so I just put it there in the morning, and he happily leaves it there.

Friday, he went off on his own, and the signal pinpointed exactly where he was. He went to the cemetery, came out, walked up to the florist, went back to the cemetery and then straight home.

For those of you who have loved ones that still want their independence, I would recommend a tracker. They are £300 - but, worth it for the peace of mind it gives.

Beverley x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
BeverleyY said:

The tutorial covers it briefly http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=2&documentID=66

If you are saying you have found something useful that works, then as long as you have no connection with the product other than as a customer, then you can name it and say it has been useful.

Ideally a caveat along the lines of "There are other products available that do this, but this is the one I know" helps - even if you don't know of any others.

Name and model should be acceptable, if quoted.

Annalisa

Jul 28, 2008
Clacton-on-Sea, Essex
GPS Tracker

Hi Beverly - I tried messaging you but apparently your mailbox is full so I couldn't leave you a message. If you read this or if anyone else has the details of this tracker can you please message me with the information. I have just joined TP as my Grandma was found wandering about at 2am this morning and reading these posts the GPS tracker sounds like a great idea.

I have seen some others but not with the boundary settings and it would be nice to be able to log on before I go to bed at night to make sure that she is safely at home in bed (although I suppose she could just go out without it but she does still always take her handbag everywhere with her).

Thanks.

Annalisa

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Annalisa. Beverly has not been on line now for some weeks, so probably has not see your message.

Have you tried this reference: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talking...ead.php?t=8324

Someone there seems to have had similar experience. Hope this helps. Connie.

Edited to add: sorry the link does not seem to be working here.
Try going back to the post, on this thread, at #9.
Sorry if this is confusing.

Last edited: