Mum not eating

Dorag

Oct 6, 2015
Hi there - I am new to this site, so Hello. I'm hoping I can get some
Advice.
My Mum has Vascular Dementia, diagnosed 3 years ago. She is now in a residential home, has been since February. She has been very down and depressed and her communication and confusion has seen a decline.
My mum came out of hospital after having a racing heart and swollen logs, this was last week. I feel so worried that she is is deteriorating quickly, she keeps Sauk g she feels unwell and sick, and that she has had enough. Today I thought I'd try and take her out along with my 3 year old Daughter who my mum adores. Mum seemed very vacant and was falling asleep in her chair, couldn't really have much conversation, but that is quite normal for her. She then said I don't feel well, I'm not well please can we go.. I thought she was going to faint! She was very distressed and kept saying I'm sorry. Feel so sorry for her and the pain and upset she feels .
I have asked the care home that a doctor comes out to see if there is any other underlying problems or could it be that she has declined in her condition. I'm so worried and feel very upset to see her look so unwell. Has anyone else had any experience similar? Not sure if I'm being dramatic - but both my mums parents passed away from stomach cancer , so this just frightens me!!
Thanks xx

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Has she been put on meds for her racing heart? if so, it might be slowing it down a little too much and making her feel faint.

On the food front, sweet things might appeal more than savoury, and in tiny portions.

Dorag

Oct 6, 2015
Has she been put on meds for her racing heart? if so, it might be slowing it down a little too much and making her feel faint.

On the food front, sweet things might appeal more than savoury, and in tiny portions.

Hi - yes she is on permenant medication now for heart, that seems to have calmed down. But just the eating. Between us and the home we are trying everything. She has A few picky bits, but she just seems like she is repulsed by everything!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Digoxin is often used to slow and steady the heart, nausea is a recognised side effect of this. It is certainly a good idea to get the GP to check Mum over and to look at her medications to see if there is anything that might be implicated.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Dorag,thank you for introducing yourself and a warm welcome here to Talking Point, your poor mum seems so sad, hoping this is a phrase she is going through at the moment, sadly we have gone through this with both mum in law(vascular dementia) and my mum who has alzheimers, they are both still with us but so difficult to "go with the flow" on the unpredictability of life in the world of dementia:eek: your mums tastes may have changed and mayhaps as a start, go back to the old fashioned foods which she enjoyed, it may take her back to a happier place:eek: does she has stimulation at her new home,rather then be just left in a chair? there are many physical medical conditions that would make your mum feel unwell, including the dreaded urine infections which seem to reoccur so frequently when dementia takes over, ask the GP to continue to do non invasive tests, a problem with the thyroid can cause lack of appetite and sleepiness.
Much support and understanding here, and hoping you get more positive answers from the medical profession very soon.
Chris

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
If your mum has swollen legs ask them to do a blood test for kidney function. This is what happened with my Mum who also has dementia. It's very painful to walk on swollen legs as it feels like your skin is going to burst. Even if the kidney function results are fine maybe ask for a water tablet to reduce the water that is making her legs swell, this is called oedema and is very common in older people. She won't feel like eating as the energy she needs to eat has gone on fighting the illnesses, so even rubbish food eg cake or chocolate or even a mint to freshen her mouth maybe?

When a relative was released from hospital they suggested a strong taste like mackerel pate on toast to get the tastebuds going. Once the stomach gets used to eating again it will start the hunger pangs, but the longer it is before she eats the easier the stomach finds it to get used to.

Hope she feels better soon, how about if you and your daughter made her some fairy cakes maybe she would eat them for your daughter.

Dorag

Oct 6, 2015
Digoxin is often used to slow and steady the heart, nausea is a recognised side effect of this. It is certainly a good idea to get the GP to check Mum over and to look at her medications to see if there is anything that might be implicated.

Will do - Doctor is out tomorrow xx thank you

Dorag

Oct 6, 2015
Hello Dorag,thank you for introducing yourself and a warm welcome here to Talking Point, your poor mum seems so sad, hoping this is a phrase she is going through at the moment, sadly we have gone through this with both mum in law(vascular dementia) and my mum who has alzheimers, they are both still with us but so difficult to "go with the flow" on the unpredictability of life in the world of dementia:eek: your mums tastes may have changed and mayhaps as a start, go back to the old fashioned foods which she enjoyed, it may take her back to a happier place:eek: does she has stimulation at her new home,rather then be just left in a chair? there are many physical medical conditions that would make your mum feel unwell, including the dreaded urine infections which seem to reoccur so frequently when dementia takes over, ask the GP to continue to do non invasive tests, a problem with the thyroid can cause lack of appetite and sleepiness.
Much support and understanding here, and hoping you get more positive answers from the medical profession very soon.
Chris
Thank you Chris for you suggestions xx

Dorag

Oct 6, 2015
If your mum has swollen legs ask them to do a blood test for kidney function. This is what happened with my Mum who also has dementia. It's very painful to walk on swollen legs as it feels like your skin is going to burst. Even if the kidney function results are fine maybe ask for a water tablet to reduce the water that is making her legs swell, this is called oedema and is very common in older people. She won't feel like eating as the energy she needs to eat has gone on fighting the illnesses, so even rubbish food eg cake or chocolate or even a mint to freshen her mouth maybe?

When a relative was released from hospital they suggested a strong taste like mackerel pate on toast to get the tastebuds going. Once the stomach gets used to eating again it will start the hunger pangs, but the longer it is before she eats the easier the stomach finds it to get used to.

Hope she feels better soon, how about if you and your daughter made her some fairy cakes maybe she would eat them for your daughter.

Yes I will try the fairy cakes xx thank you for your help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife