Live In Carer/Companion

svt

Oct 6, 2015
Hi Im new to this so please accept my apologies in advance for any mistakes. My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer Disease 4 years ago but still has the capacity to live on her own in her won home a 3 bed ground floor flat. Currently she has companions twice a day for a total of 4 hours.
Due to several safety issues - leaving external doors unlocked at night, gas hob left on we have now begun to consider the move into a residential care facility. She also gets very stressed at times when alone.
My difficulty is that most of the homes I have visited are mainly dealing with residents who are much more advanced in the disease than my Mum
So possible next option is to find a live in carer
QUESTION - Does anyone have any idea as to annual salary and how would I advertise the opportunity?

Thanks SVT

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I would budget for £35K p.a. for a self-employed carer supplied by a good national care agency. This price includes the carers' travel costs and the agency fees. You would avoid all the hassle of becoming an employer, and you get trained and security vetted people who have been matched to the client's needs.
The carer will need time off, and there is the hidden extra cost of their bed and board.

If you want to employ an individual carer, The Lady magazine is the best place. They have a website.

I would recommend starting with agency carers so that you gain experience of this type of care provision. Then you can move to an employment scenario once you know the ropes. Agencies will work with you to trial live-in carers, or carers providing respite cover when family members are away on holiday. It doesn't have to be a permanent commitment.

Last edited:

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Hi Im new to this so please accept my apologies in advance for any mistakes. My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer Disease 4 years ago but still has the capacity to live on her own in her won home a 3 bed ground floor flat. Currently she has companions twice a day for a total of 4 hours.
Due to several safety issues - leaving external doors unlocked at night, gas hob left on we have now begun to consider the move into a residential care facility. She also gets very stressed at times when alone.
My difficulty is that most of the homes I have visited are mainly dealing with residents who are much more advanced in the disease than my Mum
So possible next option is to find a live in carer
QUESTION - Does anyone have any idea as to annual salary and how would I advertise the opportunity?

Thanks SVT

If she were to go in to care now, then she would be able to settle and enjoy life, rather than going in later, when she may not understand what's happening.

Bod