Vacant spells

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Is anyone familiar with this? The last few days hubs has been going into completely trance like spells. He will respond but he's out of it completely. He is suffering from a recurrent constipation issue but I have never seen him as bad as this.
He's eating OK, drinking, urine looks and smells fine , not running a temperature. Only other thing is he has got some red blotches on the forehead but his skin is so bad in those areas its hard to tell if its a problem. He doesn't want a doctor (surprise surprise) and I really don't think it's going to help.
Any ideas anyone please?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Well, he may not want a doctor, but I think it would be a good idea to speak to one.

It could be several things and realise that you are thinking maybe an infection or the constipation may be to blame and it could be. The thing that immediately came to mind, though is that my OH has vacant spells just like that and they are due to small epileptic attacks. Im not saying thats what they are, mind, but I do think it would be a good idea to bring it to the GPs attention.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks canary for an idea. I think I will see how it pans out over the weekend. It's quite possible also that the recent shambles with the carers and my high stress levels are impacting on him.

It's dreadful to think you can profit from other people's misery, but two clients have gone into hospital, so that will take the pressure off everyone for a spell. Then maybe we both staff and clients can catch our breath. Dreadful thinking isn't it but that is what we are reduced to

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Is anyone familiar with this? The last few days hubs has been going into completely trance like spells. He will respond but he's out of it completely. He is suffering from a recurrent constipation issue but I have never seen him as bad as this.
He's eating OK, drinking, urine looks and smells fine , not running a temperature. Only other thing is he has got some red blotches on the forehead but his skin is so bad in those areas its hard to tell if its a problem. He doesn't want a doctor (surprise surprise) and I really don't think it's going to help.
Any ideas anyone please?

Bemused, I'm so sorry that you are experiencing all this stress. I'm about to pick up on the constipation issue because it's sometimes possible for one infection to lead to another. Pete used to get constipation infections which invariably lead to a chest infection. If you call the GP at least he will be able to give your OH the once over.

Please let us know how you both are doing if at all possible.

Love

Lyn T XX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Goodness. You could almost be describing my husband! I wrote about this very thing in Bill's thread in the tearoom yesterday.

Bill has had a chest infection but twice this week we (myself and Bill's carers) have noticed vacant spells. He is very unsteady on his feet when they happen. I had actually wondered if they had been TIAs but my mum suffered from these and this seemed different. I had to take Bill to the doctor yesterday as I wanted them to check to see if his chest infection was clearing. It's still there and he has been given another course of antibiotics. I asked the doctor about these vacant spells. He said he thought they were not TIAs but we're probably down to the infection.

He had another one this morning and nearly fell in the shower because of it. I am keeping a close eye on things and if he has more I'm taking him back to the doctor on Monday. I think it might be good to see the doctor with your husband - even if he doesn't want to see one!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
However it happens, I'm glad you have a little peace aroud the carer's issue bemused.

Nick does sometimes have these 'vacant' spells but not to any great degree. I though at first they may be due to TIA's. They don't seem to lead to any out of the ordinary overall deterioration.

I hope your husbands are better soon, bemused and Izzy.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thank you everyone, I have just put a call into the Dr just to register my concerns. He can't fall because of them because he's never on his feet. I shall now read your thread Izzy and catch up. Today he is a bit better but we shall see. Will update

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Well spoke to the Dr. Why can you not get to speak to a Dr who knows him? Quite a few of them do but this was a new registrar. Hadn't looked at his notes.
Anyway he went through the usual stroke/chest infections and I suddenly thought does he know he has dementia. So I explained that it was undiagnosed so he said 'what makes you say that?. So I explained about the referral to the cpn in 2012 and his refusal to have any further tests. Did I want them to do something about the dementai- they could do a blood test and organise a memory clinic. I don't think he was impressed when I said there was no point because there were no behavioural issues so far and we were self funding so it wasn't any use there. The blood test was a new one on me though.

How irritating to have to explain why you know he has dementia so far on and to explain that it was husbands wish to ignore it if possible and I support that choice. In many ways I quite understand his choice.
Anyway outcome, he didn't think it was anything to worry about, get a sample for uti testing and observe. And that was it, I could have come to that conclusion myself, without the annoyance factot

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Bemused1 I know you say you are self funding but a diagnosis would give you access to many services that you might need further along the road. First entitlement to Attendance Allowance which is not means tested. That in turn permits council tax reduction of 100% for the person with dementia and 75 % to be paid if there is another person in the house.

Referral to a Memory clinic should trigger advice about groups, day centres and respite and other services which you may not want to use now but could need later.

I would go to some of the Alz groups now to get your husband used to being with others and sharing your company.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Marion I have attendance allowance.
My husband is bed bound so virtually all the things you mention are useless.
Respite in this area I would have to pay for myself
My husband hates other people and its his choice not to go to memory clinics etc. As far as I am concerned, unless a diagnosis becomes necessary for other reasons it is no use at all to us and his choice is still the most important

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Well I can certainly see why you are stymied. Once again we need to be reminded that circumstances are different for many of us so one size solution does not fit all.

Best regards.