You couldn't make it up!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Scarlett you'd think it would be simple enough but you're right, technology is a very mixed blessing. The agency sent me an email yesterday apologising and saying the circumstances would be investigated and I would receive a letter from them. Big deal! I look forward to reading whatever pathetic excuse they come up with.

In the meantime, onwards and upwards the railings are going to be fitted today around our new patio so one more step to making the garden safe for himself.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I love the excuses, but most agencies need to be more imaginative. It gets boring, technology, colds, dreadful wives of clients. Perhaps we should put a list together for them so they can use a little more variety.
If I didn't laugh at the moment I'd run screaming down the road.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I hate being reliant on carers! Today I was due to go to a meeting in Birmingham, which was important for the company and I wanted to go. I emailed the agency on 21st August to arrange care from 7.00am till 5.00pm and had an email back saying yes they could do that.

Due to catch a train at 07.39 and so up at 6.15, suited and booted ready for the off. 07.10am no carer, rang the call centre, no there's nothing on the rota for you......

Big apologies to the people I was due to meet, fortunately a colleague was also going so she fielded the meeting. Good job I have understanding employers but wonder how long I can carry on like this, it's so stressful.

That probably would have finished me off when I was caring alone. Your job is so important. Like the others, love the patio. Well done :)

Did anyone apologise for letting you down? Stupid question?

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Railings in place, very confused dog but I'm really pleased with it. Just a bit more top soil and some turf, a bit of planting over the winter and we'll be all but done. ImageUploadedByTalking Point1443734334.133922.jpg

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
That's very splendid jinx. Envy the ramp. We looked at the possibilities but it just wasn't viable.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
The ramp takes up a lot of the garden but it's so much easier for B rather than negotiating steps and longer term will take a wheelchair if necessary.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
The ramp takes up a lot of the garden but it's so much easier for B rather than negotiating steps and longer term will take a wheelchair if necessary.

Good planning Jinx, it's easy to be in denial about possible deterioration but so good to have things in place before you really need them.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Thanks everyone, unfortunately I have already managed to loosen the last post on the railings at the bottom of the ramp,I shall have to get them back to look at a better way of fixing it. Bit annoying.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Last night hubby got up to go to the toilet, couldn't find it as usual but when I went to help him he sort of froze, completely doubled up with back pain and couldn't seem to move his feet. I struggled for a while and managed to get him to move about six feet, then I had to get my daughter and SIL to help and it took the three of us to get him back to bed. He still hadn't done a wee and won't use a pad although he had one on in case of leakages so I eventually managed to get him to wee in a vase! (I have been meaning to get a proper urine bottle). He is still very unsteady this morning and only communicating in grunts. I presume this is another chest infection so will have to speak to out of hours doctor and see if we can get AB's today. The back problem is ongoing due to wear and tear and extremely poor posture from an early age, he is on high dose Cocodamol and even that doesn't always work. Wondering whether morphine patches would be a better option, has anyone had experience of those?

He's due to go into respite on Thursday for five nights as I am going to Barcelona with my daughters for the weekend. We had to postpone this trip earlier in the year so do hope B responds to ABs and all is OK.......

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I hope you are able to get some help for your husband. These chest infections are awful when dementia is also involved.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Last night hubby got up to go to the toilet, couldn't find it as usual but when I went to help him he sort of froze, completely doubled up with back pain and couldn't seem to move his feet. I struggled for a while and managed to get him to move about six feet, then I had to get my daughter and SIL to help and it took the three of us to get him back to bed. He still hadn't done a wee and won't use a pad although he had one on in case of leakages so I eventually managed to get him to wee in a vase! (I have been meaning to get a proper urine bottle). He is still very unsteady this morning and only communicating in grunts. I presume this is another chest infection so will have to speak to out of hours doctor and see if we can get AB's today. The back problem is ongoing due to wear and tear and extremely poor posture from an early age, he is on high dose Cocodamol and even that doesn't always work. Wondering whether morphine patches would be a better option, has anyone had experience of those?

He's due to go into respite on Thursday for five nights as I am going to Barcelona with my daughters for the weekend. We had to postpone this trip earlier in the year so do hope B responds to ABs and all is OK.......

Husband was prescribed fentanyl patches but on research I wouldn't use them. he has recurrent problems with constipation which requires careful management. He was on high dose codydramol but I even took him off that and now have him on just plain liquid paracetamol. He is however not able to walk and is hoisted everywhere so it isn't quite the same problem.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North

I hope you can get a GP to see him today and prescribe AB's.
Just a tip about plastic urinal bottles -- do get the ones with an integrated handle.
Hoping you can carry on as planned and go away with your daughters.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Thank you for the advice Izzy, Bemused and Sleepless, he seems better after sleeping most of the morning. x

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Well, sitting here waiting for the out of hours doctor to arrive. Called paramedics earlier as Bernard completely immobile and in danger of slipping out of bed. I cannot manhandle him on my own. He had a temperature, very low blood pressure (which is not unusual for him) and they reckon UTI. I didn't want them to take him to hospital unless absolutely necessary so alternative is out of hours doc who may still say B should go in but hopefully will just give ABs.

I knew UTI caused more confusion but hadn't appreciated that it could also cause lack of mobilisation. B can stand but isn't able to put one foot in front of the other.

The weather is just awful now, pouring rain and high winds. Hope he doesn't have to go out in all this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024