Help and advice dementia

ronansean

Sep 14, 2015
Hi my father has dementia and is getting worse my sister has a small annex behind her house and has suggested that dad gives his house up and moves in to her annex ,she could pack in her job to give him full time care he is 90 but she would like to be paid 250.00 per week as she will lose her income and company car it was suggested that we should purchase a car in order that my father could be taken out on ay trips i have power of attorney for all of dads finances can i legally sanction this arrangement and should i .
Thanks sean

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Much will depend on if you ever envision it likely that your sister will no longer be able to provide care, and, I suppose, if such payments and purchases will make a dent in your father assets. The truth is, this sort of arrangement is really only scrutinized should the public purse be expected to pay for care or after death if heirs get shirty.

Personally, I think £250 a week for care is fairly reasonable (care rates being around £15 per hour for only basic care). I would make sure the car remained in your father's name though.

So the answer to your questions is: probably but it is a good idea? Not so much from the financial POV but with regard to future ramifications.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Roansean, welcome to TP
If you're in England, Scotland or Wales does matter to give a full answer, if your sister takes him in and takes a "wage" the he technically become her employer and is liable for; sick pay, maternity leave and her pension payments.
It's a bit of a potential minefield, should you set up a direct debit (or similar) so he pays the £250 a week into her account then potentially he is employing her and as such has to jump though all the hoops of the new employment act, the "informal" economy days are coming to an end it all has to be done through the correct channels now so she'd have to be self employed and your dad would have to hire her with all the costs and consequences being a boss now carries.
Doing it off the radar is possible, but you would need to construct the way it is done with care to both protect your dad's rights and your sisters' employment rights.
K

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Roansean, welcome to TP
If you're in England, Scotland or Wales does matter to give a full answer, if your sister takes him in and takes a "wage" the he technically become her employer and is liable for; sick pay, maternity leave and her pension payments.
It's a bit of a potential minefield, should you set up a direct debit (or similar) so he pays the £250 a week into her account then potentially he is employing her and as such has to jump though all the hoops of the new employment act, the "informal" economy days are coming to an end it all has to be done through the correct channels now so she'd have to be self employed and your dad would have to hire her with all the costs and consequences being a boss now carries.
Doing it off the radar is possible, but you would need to construct the way it is done with care to both protect your dad's rights and your sisters' employment rights.
K

But provided this all this is done, I don't see any issue with the OP doing this from a legal point of view as his father's attorney. Do you?