exercise swimming

MEINESURFER

Sep 12, 2015
I wonder if anyone has experience of taking a dementia sufferer to a swimming pool. I was thinking of taking one sufferer who could swim and a non swimmer. I feel exercise would be beneficial Has anyone had experiences of this?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Personally I wouldn't take anyone who can't swim to a swimming pool. Swimming pools can be dangerous and full of people.What if the person with dementia doesn't understand to get out of the way of someone else? I would only ever do this on a 1:1 basis. Adding to that, some people with dementia don't particularly like water or might get frightened if they can't see the bottom of the pool. Exercise is beneficial but there are lots of other ways of getting fit. My OH loves long walks but I would never get him into a pool.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
The only time I took my husband into a pool was in Spain in June. The pool was no more than knee deep all over and we were the only people in it. There was my husband, myself and his carer. We took an arm each and he walked up and down the pool. I wouldn't do it in any other circumstances.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The only time I took my husband into a pool was in Spain in June. The pool was no more than knee deep all over and we were the only people in it. There was my husband, myself and his carer. We took an arm each and he walked up and down the pool. I wouldn't do it in any other circumstances.

And I guess that was more for the sense of being on holiday and not for exercise anyway?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband is a good swimmer and I have taken him often. Recently the problem has been getting him dressed for the pool and then getting him dressed again when he comes out!

I think he is now beyond that stage but certainly for the first few years after diagnosis we swam frequently.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband is a good swimmer and I have taken him often. Recently the problem has been getting him dressed for the pool and then getting him dressed again when he comes out!

I think he is now beyond that stage but certainly for the first few years after diagnosis we swam frequently.

I suppose it depends on the person and the stage of dementia. Bill never enjoyed swimming. A few ladies who come to the dementia cafe with their husbands (who have dementia) go swimming with them every week.

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
My husband and I have always swum together, he is a good swimmer and does not have problems actually swimming. However, there are often times that he does not recognise me in the pool and unless I keep a close watch will wander into the changing rooms looking for me!!! We get changed in the family changing room but have to go through the ladies/gents to get out. This is increasingly difficult and I have had to ask a member of staff to find him in the men's changing room. Swimming is a fantastic form of exercise, but advanced dementia or a non-swimmer for me would be a nono!
Good luck :0)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN