Mum has been sectioned

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
The residential home couldn't cope with mum and her outbursts so last night two doctors and a social worker visited and took the decision to take her into a local dementia unit at the hospital for assessment. She will no doubt now need nursing care so I guess another hunt for a nursing home will commence. In all honesty I don't think I have the strength to do this all again. Seeing mum look so vulnerable is getting harder and harder.

And so another phase of this nightmare continues...

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Anongirl I'm sorry , sending you strength vibes ((())). X

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Anongirl, thinking of you tonight and in the coming days. You will need great strength but do you have a local carers café or forum where people can help you in your nursing home hunt?

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thank you all so much xxxx

When all this sinks in I will start to think about what's next. I was thinking of trying to contact the social worker. Do social services decide where is available for her to go or do I have the responsibility to find somewhere?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Thank you all so much xxxx

When all this sinks in I will start to think about what's next. I was thinking of trying to contact the social worker. Do social services decide where is available for her to go or do I have the responsibility to find somewhere?

It should be social services if she is under section I would think AG, let them know you cant do it.xxx

RosiePop

Mar 21, 2015
E was recently sectioned ( section 3) at the request of her ( dementia friendly) care home who decided they could no longer cope with her. She has been " happy" at the hospital and is much improved. The SW has recommended 3 homes that will take her. None have a vacancy so she will stay at the hospital until they do.

Weary

Aug 1, 2014
Been there so i feel your pain. All you can do is try to stay strong and carry on loving mum. Dementia is a horrible roller coaster, all we can do is hang on and endure the ride :-(

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
In my experience, sectioning was the best thing that could have happened to my mum. She had a thorough assessment, was really well cared for in the assessment unit, and it was they who told us which Homes would be able to meet her needs. Once in the assessment unit we had regualr meetings with the team, and also a Mental Health Advocate was present which we were reassured by. I think you are entitled to have an Advocate there. All the best with it - I know what a horrible time it is, but it will all come good (or as good as it can get dealing with this disease) in the end.

Noah's Mum

Oct 15, 2014
Anon girl I had logged out when I read ur thread, I logged back in to say my heart goes out to you and I'm praying such a difficult situation for you will turn out positive for u and ur mum xo

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Been there AG, as so many of us have, sadly. Know just how you feel, sending you a big cyber hug and wishing it could be more. This is just the most awful illness ever.

xxx

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
(((Anongirl))) sending you virtual hugs - do you have anyone to give them in 3D?

I do thank you! One of the carers at mum's home was being kind to me and I got upset, I told her not to be nice to me as I need to hold it all together! X

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
In my experience, sectioning was the best thing that could have happened to my mum. She had a thorough assessment, was really well cared for in the assessment unit, and it was they who told us which Homes would be able to meet her needs. Once in the assessment unit we had regualr meetings with the team, and also a Mental Health Advocate was present which we were reassured by. I think you are entitled to have an Advocate there. All the best with it - I know what a horrible time it is, but it will all come good (or as good as it can get dealing with this disease) in the end.

Well you could be right Lulu. I went last night and they had managed to shower her and clean her nails. They even managed to brush her teeth which quite frankly is a miracle because she fights against any personal care and her breath has been unbearable! They are monitoring her blood pressure and making sure she is taking her tablets.

To be honest it makes me realise that she does need nursing care now.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I'm sorry to hear about this development in your mums dementia AG.
Hopefully some time in an assessment unit will help to stabilise what must be a tormenting time for her, and of course for you.
It's been a hard path for you both. xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point