POA nightmare..advise please

moonlightmaggie

Aug 12, 2015
my partner of 16 years was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia in January we saw very little signs etc.POA was discussed but was put off..we did however get the forms sent through but the day they came.31st july.yes the very day ..they came he was ill and rushed to hospital with an infection.within 5 days he was section 2..and now he is on section 3..the papers came back because there was an error on them.But now he is not able to sign as not deemed capable..so where do I go from here?..its bad enough losing me partner to this dam disease but to lose the control he wanted me to have over his health and finances is adding to the nightmare..

I am still in shock at how fast this Lewy Body hit him and changed within short space of time....

any advise would be appreciated

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
Lewy body

my partner of 16 years was diagnosed with lewy body dementia in january we saw very little signs etc.poa was discussed but was put off..we did however get the forms sent through but the day they came.31st july.yes the very day ..they came he was ill and rushed to hospital with an infection.within 5 days he was section 2..and now he is on section 3..the papers came back because there was an error on them.but now he is not able to sign as not deemed capable..so where do i go from here?..its bad enough losing me partner to this dam disease but to lose the control he wanted me to have over his health and finances is adding to the nightmare..

I am still in shock at how fast this lewy body hit him and changed within short space of time....

Any advise would be appreciated

hi im bill my wife has lewy body has well 4 years ago.you can clame p. I. P for her . Also you can clame caring alowence. Sorry im dislix so baer with me on this. For looking after him .which all helps beleve me . Ssorry but it will get hard for you so be strong .

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
What an absolute PITA for you, as if you din't already have enough to deal with! I think things now get even more complicated - and expensive! - for you but there is a way of sorting this out. I expect someone with more more knowledge and experience than me will soon be along to explain.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...the papers came back because there was an error on them..."

If the error was on a section not requiring his signature as donor the OPG may allow you to resubmit with amended documents.

Even if the error was on a section requiring the donor's signature you may be able to apply to the court of protection to allow a correction, the error would have to be something relatively inconsequential such as omission of address or date of birth. Their would be a fee, £400 I think, same as application for deputy.

You could contact the OPG and ask whether there are any options open to you other than applying for deputy, note the OPG will only give you the facts, not advice.