Why no backache or headache etc

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Why oh why doesn't MIL get thirsty, hungry, backache or headache by sleeping for 23 hours!!!!!! I just don't get it

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I suppose it is because it isn't the normal sleep that you and I experience, but sleep brought about by dementia.
Thank goodness it doesn't cause all that extra hassle, but just gives them the break they need.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Thank you for replying. How long do I leave her for?????

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thank you for replying. How long do I leave her for?????

Lol - I wish Mil would sleep for that long!

Seriously, Mil has managed to sleep for 15 hours straight (though very rarely) - I wake her for essential meds, and let her go back to sleep if she wants. I have read a few times that excessive amounts of sleep like that are not uncommon with dementia, hun, so i wouldn't worry, unless there are other symptoms that emerge as a result of the long sleep xxxx

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I think I'll leave her as it's so peaceful!........

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It's one of the ways if affects some people, my wife never asks for food or a drink, she never complains about being too hot or too cold, we can go out on a day when it's literally freezing and it no longer bothers her, we can go for hours without food and she never says she feels hungry she never has any aches or pains, I just think that sensory part of her brain has ceased to function.
K

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Do you know it sounded like I had written the exact same thing about my MIL!

maureenoconnell

Account Closed
Aug 27, 2015
Just some tips for people suffering from dementia.

Having a daily routine may help. Calmly reassuring and giving cues to orient the person who has dementia is also helpful in the evening and closer to bedtime. Try to keep the person going to bed at the same time every night.

Calm activities at the end of the day and before bedtime may help the person with dementia sleep better at night. If they are active during the day, these calm activities can make them tired and better able to sleep.

Avoid loud noises and activity in the home at night, so the person does not wake up once they are asleep.

Do not restrain a person with dementia when they are in bed. If you are using a hospital bed that has guard rails in the home, putting the rails up may help keep the person from wandering at night.