Reminiscence Group

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
After what has seemed a long time without Wi Fi we are back online intermittently

I have been asked if I would like to help run a reminiscence group

Don't know much about them so thought I would mention it on here and see what peoples experiences of them are

So glad to be back in touch

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Sarah,

Glad you are back on-line. I have no idea what a Reminiscence Group is! I await your input with great interest. xx

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
After what has seemed a long time without Wi Fi we are back online intermittently

Don't know much about them so thought I would mention it on here and see what peoples experiences of them are

Was thinking of you today Sarah and wondering where you were, good to see you back online:)

Don't know anything about reminiscence group ?

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Sarah

Hi Sarah Sorry you did not have Wi Fi but am very :) you have it back A reminiscence group ** talks about things in the past Like a trip down Memory Lane Do you know what I mean ? > Think you normally have 1 subject So it could be your School days at Infant School etc

You reminiscence when you shared the black & white Guide Camp Photo's on Face Book with your friend / Guide Leader Jacky :)

Good Luck with helping at the new Group & hope this helps you understand what Reminiscence means So if the Group all talked about your School days at Infant School some body might say it was drinking the Milk out of the Small bottles or playing games in the Play Ground etc You could practise with Celia & every body or your boat friend Hope this helps

Hope you are well

love Grove x

Last edited:

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Information help Sheet

Hello Sarah , Have just found a useful information help sheet that will help you in the reminiscence group It is from the Alzheimer's Society Resource Page & the Information Sheet is called Dementia Treatments The reminiscence bit is near the end of the page It said you could use a memory book:) too help you Reminiscence Think a lot of Care Homes or Nursing Homes do this The Activity Staff do it

Love Grove x

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi Sarah,

My husband attended a 6 week course which was run by his CPN.

His folder he bought home at the end contained all the work he had done.

They had talked about school, friends they could remember and what lessons were like. They talked about their first job. Music they liked, they had a music session where they listened to old recordings ( The Beatles, Adam Faith, Etc. no Vera Lynn in sight:))

One session was on foods they liked as a child and their experiences of going out for a meal.

Clothes they wore and they had lots of pictures to look at that the CPN had sourced from the Internet.

Hobbies was another one.

He came home with a very thick folder that I still have, it was very entertaining and sad too.

I am sure you will love doing it Sarah.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Bill goes to a Football Memories session. The reminisce about teams, matches, players etc. the use big scrapbooks of photos and often have artefacts like international football strips in. Retired players from the local teams come in and help out.

I know that's very specific and your group is likely to be more general. Same idea though!

http://www.footballmemories.org.uk/content/the_project/

I believe there are also golf memory groups and even a shinty one. I think there are also movie memory groups.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1959

http://www.alzscot.org/asrn

I'm sure your memory book approach would be an excellent one.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
There's an iPad app called My House of Memories fron National Museums Liverpool.
I got told about it yesterday.
It's designed to help carers & alz/dem patients. It shows objects from the past to be discussed etc.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wish I`d known you were at Whitstable Sarah. It`s along the coast from me and I might have been able to meet up.

My mother used to have reminiscence groups as did my neighbour. With them, they included old war time Vera Lynn type songs which brought a tear to many eyes.

Good luck with them Sarah.