Toilet Query........No. 2's

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Hi

Can anybody advise why my father might need a number 2 quite so often? His appetite has dwindled over the last few months and eats very little but needs a pooh about 3 or 4 times a day. Is this normal?

He gets constant chest infections and is only off of antibiotics for about 2 or 3 days before he needs to start them again. I know they can cause diarrhoea but when he goes it is solid.

He is night time incontinent and sometimes leaks faeces as well. He has become very unsteady on his feet and I am worried because every night he has to get up during the night for a pooh. On Sunday morning I actually found him lying on the floor in the bathroom where he had tried to go but his legs wouldn't carry him.

I don't really understand why he needs to go so often.

Has anyone got any advice.

Thanks in advance. xx

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Hi Stresshead.

Going 3/4 times a day sounds normal to me. I have always had very regular bowels myself and usually go 30 minutes after every meal, so 3/4 times a day.

If his stools look normal, then I wouldn't worry about it. The worrying thing is him needing to go at night and falling down and getting injured in the process.

If in doubt, talk to his doctor.

LS

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
He just eats so little..... don't know where it's all coming from ??

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
irritable bowel symptoms cam make a person empty there bowls 3 times a day
I have IBS I get diarrhoea, constipation.
With constipation it can still come out , but solid

Like Long-Suffering

Said go to doctor if worried or Just talk to doctors see if doctor can give him something to help him.

Last edited:

Allypally52

Mar 11, 2014
My dad eats very little too but his poohs are absolutely HUGE! we marvel at how they can get out of him as he's so frail and thin. So I reckon it's 'anything goes' re timing, size etc as long as he's not constipated or has constant diarrhoea.
However we are trying to control his new habit of washing his hands in the toilet bowl and expressing surprise that we've suggested he shouldn't, because he's flushed the 'biggies' away first. 'Biggies' are the term we used for number 2's when I was a child, not used for many many years and forgotten until dad came out with it!!

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
My dad also eats next to nothing, but has massive poos. So big my mum has to break them up to get them to flush away properly. There is clearly something mysterious happening here!

This reminds me of the latest story from home. This morning, mum was in the kitchen. Dad is in the lounge and unusually quiet. Then he suddenly starts making loud and weird noises. Mum rushes into the room and he gets all excited, shouting "I've been in the little jug!" So mum thinks what the hell is he talking about, then sees all this rubbish laid out on top of the dining table. She realises it's stuff from the wastepaper basket under the table, so she looks under there and finds dad has emptied the rubbish out of the basket and then peed in it so much that it's full to the top. Mum had to pour it down the toilet (it leaked all over her on the way) and then throw it out.

Dad's very pleased with himself about this. He's been laughing and muttering "little jug" all day. Mum is one step closer to carers' burnout. I feel so bad for laughing, but if you didn't you'd cry, right? Well maybe not in my case. I am bad. :rolleyes:

LS

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi

He is night time incontinent and sometimes leaks faeces as well. He has become very unsteady on his feet and I am worried because every night he has to get up during the night for a pooh.

Thanks in advance. xx

When you say he sometimes leaks faeces-is that solid also?

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
No when he leaks at night it isn't solid.

Yes you do need to have a sense of humour. Dad has spent today repeatedly checking on the onions that I'm growing on my lounge rug ????

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Ok, so it's possible that your Dad has overflow constipation. (I'm going to be graphic now) this is when the person is actually constipated and a blockage is formed far up in the bowel. The waste has to get out somehow so it comes out very loose (like diarrhea) to get through the blockage. This could account for why your Dad feels he needs to go, but can't actually empty his bowel enough to feel comfortable. If his stools are actually 'hard' that could also be a sign of constipation.

My OH suffered terribly from 'overflow' and quite often it was followed by a chest infection that needed AB's.

irishmanc

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
My dad also eats next to nothing, but has massive poos. So big my mum has to break them up to get them to flush away properly. There is clearly something mysterious happening here!

This reminds me of the latest story from home. This morning, mum was in the kitchen. Dad is in the lounge and unusually quiet. Then he suddenly starts making loud and weird noises. Mum rushes into the room and he gets all excited, shouting "I've been in the little jug!" So mum thinks what the hell is he talking about, then sees all this rubbish laid out on top of the dining table. She realises it's stuff from the wastepaper basket under the table, so she looks under there and finds dad has emptied the rubbish out of the basket and then peed in it so much that it's full to the top. Mum had to pour it down the toilet (it leaked all over her on the way) and then throw it out.

Dad's very pleased with himself about this. He's been laughing and muttering "little jug" all day. Mum is one step closer to carers' burnout. I feel so bad for laughing, but if you didn't you'd cry, right? Well maybe not in my case. I am bad. :rolleyes:

LS

I'm sorry but that made me laugh out loud as well. I suppose you have to find the humour in these situations! Maybe we should write a sitcom...

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
I was going to suggest the overflow idea too. I was advised to give a dose of Exlacs chocolate, very small amount, once a week to keep the blockage sorted out. Otherwise the other waste is just managing to come out around the sides of the solid and that maybe why he goes so often, think of it as a sink blockage, where the small amount of water can still slip past. Worth a try at least.

Also think the antibiotics could be playing a part too though.

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
I'm sorry but that made me laugh out loud as well. I suppose you have to find the humour in these situations! Maybe we should write a sitcom...

Don't apologise! It's only being able to see the funny side that keeps us going (well, in my case anyway). I've found the best approach with my dad when he does bizarre things is to have a laugh with him about it. I think it takes the pressure off both of us and makes him less depressed.

We should definitely write a sitcom. It'd be something like Fawlty Towers.

LS

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
So true...see the funny side and laugh with the person who has a problem. Definitely relieves the stress.

It does seem possible that the " need to go" your dad feels is due to some of traffic jam further up the road! Must be uncomfortable. Does he suffer from wind too? I'd hope the doctor would try to work out what's going on....I was going to say " get to the bottom of it" but.........;)

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
So true...see the funny side and laugh with the person who has a problem. Definitely relieves the stress.

It does seem possible that the " need to go" your dad feels is due to some of traffic jam further up the road! Must be uncomfortable. Does he suffer from wind too? I'd hope the doctor would try to work out what's going on....I was going to say " get to the bottom of it" but.........;)

I agree definitely important to find out if it is an obstruction, a Dr palpating his abdomen should be able to get some idea and/or prescribe appropriate stool softener like lactulose to help it pass and then a regular stool bulker like movicol to prevent it happening.

I wonder if he is eating more than is appreciated, if he maybe has a secret supply of food. I eat loads now that I never used to but it doesn't look like I do.

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Thank you all for your advice and comments. It's been a really difficult week. This seem to be changing quite quickly.

I have got some Lactalose and I think it may be doing the trick.

Thanks again xx

skaface

Jul 18, 2011
Ramsgate

You've not lived until you've had to fish out underwear from the toilet where it's been flushed!

I gather from the chap from Crossroads Care that this is a common thing and he's had to fish out slippers and all sorts! I don't think I'll ever get used to having to put my hands down the toilet to unblock it. I now have wire coat hangers which have been a godsend.