First episode of wandering

scattysue

Aug 20, 2015
Just over 4 weeks ago my sister, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2 years ago, was brought back to her home by police around 1 am having been found on a bus when the driver returned it to the garage. She had no idea of where she wanted to go and could not give her home address (she lives alone about 30 miles from me). Fortunately she had a medical blister pack in one of her bags which gave her address and the officers took her home and then notified me. Incidentally, the police officers told me she was carrying 3 handbags and 2 carrier bags when the driver brought her to the police station.

She has shown no inclination to wander since that time, and has no clear memories of the event, but does remember the police officers who brought her home.

Since this happened I have been able to access Home Care for her, including door sensors which alert the Care Team if she leaves the house between 9.30 pm and 9.30 am.

In a strange way I feel that this happening has been a bit of a blessing because it allowed me to get services organised for her which I was not able to access before.
Has anyone else had this sort of experience?

Mango

Mar 16, 2014
New Zealand
Has anyone else had this sort of experience?

Hi Sue,

Yes, my late father-in-law wandered, and as he was physically fit, he could go a long way in a very short time. He always seemed on a "mission" to go "home" (which was the Netherlands). He would pack his shaver and shoes in a shopping bag and set off any time of the day or night.

We did track him, and always found him (or the police did), but eventually, for his own safety, he had to live in a secure Dementia unit.

My Mum has kind of wandered, once. But the experience seems to have scared her, and we have not had a repeat.

Good that nothing awful happened and that you now have systems in place :)

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Wandering is, unfortunately, a common problem in people with dementia. I was fortunate in that my late husband only "went walkabout " 3 or 4 times, and never got far.
I hope your sister will continue to be more settled now that she has some Home Care - maybe that will help her feel more secure. But at least you are now alerted to this problem and so are Social Services. Hopefully as things progress, you will be able to get more help as needed.

scattysue

Aug 20, 2015
Thanks Mango and Lady A for your replies.
It does help to hear of other people's experiences.