Improving Sleep With 4, 7 and 8,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Just caught up on newspapers passed over by neighbour. Read of an interesting technique to help you get to sleep. Breathe in through the nose counting to 4. hold for count of 7 and breathe out through the nose counting to 8. I'll give it a try tonight when I wake at dawn and see if it helps me get back to sleep.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Even if it doesn't put you to sleep it is a good exercise for your lungs. Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bugs bite! My Mum used to say that to me every night along with "This night I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take"!

I wonder if parents were trying to frighten us to death!

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Even if it doesn't put you to sleep it is a good exercise for your lungs. Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bugs bite! My Mum used to say that to me every night along with "This night I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take"!

I wonder if parents were trying to frighten us to death!

Maureen and I always say night night ...........bite. I am just going to try the counting to try to stay in bed longer in the morning.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london

Attachments

• 10995539_853693241372662_293320730516689781_n.jpg
    10995539_853693241372662_293320730516689781_n.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 703

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Just caught up on newspapers passed over by neighbour. Read of an interesting technique to help you get to sleep. Breathe in through the nose counting to 4. hold for count of 7 and breathe out through the nose counting to 8. I'll give it a try tonight when I wake at dawn and see if it helps me get back to sleep.

This is a simplified variation of a classic yoga breathing technique called anuloma viloma pranayama. Nowadays, I don't do much yoga, but I still use the breathing techniques to relax and it's also VERY useful if you have a panic attack. Check out this link and video:

http://www.vedanectar.com/pose/nadi-shodhan-or-anuloma-viloma-psychic-network-purification

LS

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
This is a simplified variation of a classic yoga breathing technique called anuloma viloma pranayama. Nowadays, I don't do much yoga, but I still use the breathing techniques to relax and it's also VERY useful if you have a panic attack. Check out this link and video:

http://www.vedanectar.com/pose/nadi-shodhan-or-anuloma-viloma-psychic-network-purification

LS

Thanks L S. Sorting out early morning wakening is a high priority for me and it will be done.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
When I was little, mam would say to me when going to bed 'night night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite. If they do, squeeze 'em tight and they won't come back tomorrow night!'

Unfortunately I can't get away with breathing techniques such as this. As soon as I start concentrating on my breathing I start to hyperventilate! I just can't do it. I did give this one a try last night - but how do you breath out for a count of 8 when you've only breathed in for a count of 4 :confused:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
but how do you breath out for a count of 8 when you've only breathed in for a count of 4 :confused:

You don`t start with this CG.

First you lie comfortably, preferably on your back with all limbs as relaxed as possible , and listen to your breathing. Just listening to your breathing , picturing your in breaths circulating your body and your out breaths releasing all impurities will help you relax.

You should feel your breathing slowing down and this is when you can start to count.

Don`t force anything for now. Just count what is natural. If you force you will end up gasping and that won`t help at all.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
This isn't the first time that it's been mentioned on TP. I think Mojo was the one who noted it.

I use my mantra which I was given back in the day when the Maharishi was all the rage. I was initiated at the instigation of a girl friend. I never found that it helped me to meditate but it does send me to sleep so my money wasn't wasted.:)

EdenDesjardins

May 25, 2015
Thank you for sharing this. I tried doing it myself but I don't seem to have the attention span anymore.

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
It does take time to get used to this conscious breathing, probably seems a bit silly at first. As somebody else mentioned it is incorporated into yoga as keeping oxygen in the body longer by breath holding helps muscles to relax. Even if you don't manage to sleep you would probably relax if you persevere with the technique.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
This isn't the first time that it's been mentioned on TP. I think Mojo was the one who noted it.

I use my mantra which I was given back in the day when the Maharishi was all the rage. I was initiated at the instigation of a girl friend. I never found that it helped me to meditate but it does send me to sleep so my money wasn't wasted.:)

So your youth wand' t wasted Stanley. How much more simple was life back in those days!

I must get off my backside and get hubs breakfast before he leaves home.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Silly me been struggling to stay asleep for very long and had forgotten this Thread. Must try again tonight and concentrate on my breathing. Thanks for posting here Lewsi.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
So your youth wand' t wasted Stanley. How much more simple was life back in those days!

I must get off my backside and get hubs breakfast before he leaves home.

Yes I suppose. Or maybe it was just that we were young?

At the time I shared a flat with two friends. One of them, Ken, refused to have anything to do with TM (transcendental meditation). The other friend was often visited by his girlfriend. After we got initiated he used to put a notice on his door 'Meditation in progress. Do not disturb.' You may imagine what Ken made of this.:D

But the believing friend actually became quite an important figure in the movement later on. So maybe they were actually meditating.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
That made me smile Stanley. Yes we were young but I don't envy today's young one little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.