Keep Those Expired Passports - A Tip.....

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
I am renewing mum's Blue Badge. I have to provide a "proof of identity" - this is very difficult as marriage/divorce/birth certificates are long gone - thrown out along the way. Mum never had a Bus Pass and now has no Valid Driving Licence. However we do have an expired passport (with me for safe keeping years ago).
The lovely lady who I spoke to at our local council was more than happy to accept a copy of the expired passport as proof. Thank heaven for a sensible approach!
As many of you will know, as this wretched disease progresses too much of the Original person with dementia can disappear and so does the documentation to identify them. That expired passport is proving useful!

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My parents emigrated from Scotland to New Zealand 1966 before a passport was necessary they just had identity papers.
In 1991 they applied for British passports to go back to Scotland for a holiday.
This proved a big rigmarole with threats of being deported from New Zealand as they had no proof that they were granted residency :)
All sorted in the end with Permanent Residency stamps in their passports each time they were renewed.
For this reason Mum has guarded her & Dads passports with her life :D and has also kept every expired passport.
When she was diagnosed with AD 2 years ago, I managed to get hold of all her important papers, wills and passports.
I have kept the most recent expired one, and left her with the others, which she is quite happy with, and none the wiser that I have 2 of them.

These expired passports are the only photo ID that Mum & Dad have now, and have still had to show them when filling out paperwork with our Social Services Dept.
They will never travel again, and the cost of renewing them isn't worth it.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Linbrusco you reminded me of my own journey to Wellington, NZ in 1964. It was only later as I travelled back to Scotland that I acquired a passport. Being British we took it pretty much for granted we could go anywhere in the Commonwealth with very little paperwork. How strange by today's standards.

TDA

Mar 3, 2015
Might work, might not! I recently applied for a re-mortgage from HSBC and they wouldn't accept my recently expired passport as proof of identity, we've banked there for 18 years.....

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I had the same thing. A valid passport or nothing - the old one was refused as it had expired. I don't have a photo driving licence so have a dreadful time without a passport.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Had a terrible time when my father passed away, trying to prove mum without any ID.
She's never passed a driving test, never had a passport, not one bill was in her name.

I clung to her bus pass like my life depended on it

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Our bank does not accept expired passport for identity purposes and as my passport expired a few years ago, I have been thinking of applying for a new one to use for confirmation of identity.

I don't drive so no current driving licence either.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I work for a firm of accountants and we have to identify new clients in the same way as banks under the Money Laundering rules.

Using an expired passport as proof of identity potentially could land the bank employeel concerned in prison - we have regular courses, email reminders and inspections to ensure we get it right (as required by law). The rules also require revalidating everyone periodically. The rules are part of the UKs anti terror laws and so are taken seriously by the powers that be and applied rigourously.

The list for individuals is at the bottom of this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/proof-of-identity-checklist/proof-of-identity-checklist

Government related (local council) places are not operating under this system so the expired passport may well work.

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Yep, I appreciate that for mortgages, getting a bank account etc etc that an expired passport isn't appropriate but for that little Blue Badge that makes our life a little easier when mum fancies a trip out, the lady (Margaret - if you too are a visitor here) made our predicament a little easier to bear.
Her assurance that my hopeless state of having a parent with no apparent Official Identity was surmountable made my day.:)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Our bank does not accept expired passport for identity purposes

How strange they are...

There you go, to the bank, with your passport that has a photo of you... And they don't accept it because the passport has expired....

You haven't. You haven't expired, you are standing there.... You are still who you were when the passport was valid.... So why don't they accept it as a form of identity :rolleyes:

I can understand if it involves a visa or something like that.... But if you are a British citizen with a British passport what's their problem??

Their logic.... You couldn't make it up could you... :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
At one time I couldn't talk to the mortgage company as I was the second person named on the mortgage. They will let you pay them but not let you discuss how much is to be paid.

The old paper part of the driving licence is now obsolete which means you have to go on the government website to get a code to give to a hire company to prove you have a clean (if invisible) licence.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
the whole money laundering rules were dreamt up by civil servants who live in offices

we have got round some of it by using a reference agency to validate some of our existing clients - we have acted for them for 40 years and we have to now ask them for id.....

Our big issue - which is why we stick to the rules - is that it carries a prison sentence - and not an optional one

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
the whole money laundering rules were dreamt up by civil servants who live in offices

we have got round some of it by using a reference agency to validate some of our existing clients - we have acted for them for 40 years and we have to now ask them for id.....

Our big issue - which is why we stick to the rules - is that it carries a prison sentence - and not an optional one

I work for a Bank here in New Zealand.
The new Anti Money Laundering Laws have certainly added to the complexity of opening bank accounts, but we are allowed to accept an expired passport as long as it isn't more than 2 years out of date.
Some of our issues though have been the exisiting customers, who for whatever reason, ( applying for a loan or internet banking) now have to provide photo ID. If you don't have a passport or drivers licence it is extremely difficult, especially those who are disabled. If you are over 18 you can apply for an identity card through our Post Office but some don't have the means to pay. Very much a Catch 22!
I have never heard of a prison sentence, but the Bank being fined for non compliance.

Last edited: